The Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) is the world's largest organization serving the professional and business interests of attorneys who practice in the legal departments of corporations, associations, nonprofits and other private-sector organizations around the globe.
General Commercial/Contracts, Multinational Business, Real Estate
What You Will Do
You will be a senior member of the Global Legal Team serving as a strategic business partner to Enterprise Procurement and Real Estate. You will serve both as a strategic advisor as well as a hands-on contracts attorney. The majority of the transactions that you work on will have significant strategic value to the Company as they support product launches, customer demand, corporate operations, and efficient running of the Company’s plants and facilities.
You will be responsible for providing timely advice to a variety of key stakeholders regarding contractual terms at the proposal, negotiation, and contract performance stages and will draft, review and negotiate contracts. You will develop, deliver and implement legal and compliance strategy, best practices, templates, tools, playbooks and associated policies, processes and training.
Actively serve as a leader, positive role model, and mentor to colleagues and clients regarding legal counseling and business skills, and model Johnson Controls’ leadership behaviors.
Identify and sponsor enterprise-wide initiatives that advance the Company's legal function.
Manage outside counsel and associated budgets.
We operate in an in a fast paced and ever-changing environment and must continuously evolve and adopt new ways of working. As a leader in the team, you will identify continuous improvement opportunities and implement best practices to drive operational excellence.
How you will do it
The person serving in this role will serve as a strategic business partner and work directly with business leaders in the review, structuring, drafting, and negotiation of a wide variety of complex commercial transactions in all procurement categories (direct and indirect) including: finished goods, components, direct materials; software licensing, development, hosting, and subscription agreements; service agreements (independent contractors, consultants, subcontract labor); business process outsourcing; IT and telecom services and hardware; enterprise framework service agreements (e.g., Finance, IT, HR); equipment and vehicle leasing; logistics; commercial real estate purchase, sales, and leasing arrangements; and facilities management agreements.
Review and analyze business transactions in light of internal policies, standard operating procedures, and applicable laws to mitigate risk and ensure compliance with company policies, strategy and applicable laws. Manage legal risks arising from contracts, escalating such risks within the enterprise in accordance with establish policies and procedures, and manage resolution of legal issues including pre-litigation legal disputes and government inquiries. Drive alignment among legal professionals, procurement professionals, and business stakeholders concerning such risks.
Ensures that all significant legal matters are addressed effectively and efficiently.
Stays current on emerging legal issues and develop solutions to mitigate associated risk and ensure compliance.
What We Look For
- Law degree and member of U.S. state bar. - A minimum of 10 years of legal experience, with at least 8 of those including substantial transactional experience.
- Transactional contracting experience including meaningful periods of time supporting any of the following: manufacturing, procurement, technology, construction, digital contracts, technology licensing and development agreements, IoT, SaaS, cloud computing. Interest in emerging technology.
- Experience in handling all aspects of commercial real estate projects, including acquisition, financing, land use and zoning, leasing, construction, and tenant improvements is preferred.
- Experience in negotiating privacy and data security provisions (including an IAPP certification) is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, be a self-starter and be proactive. - Familiarity with working within a matrixed environment on behalf of multiple and diverse business units. - Ability to build positive relationships with leadership, peers, and clients, with demonstrated ability to influence outcomes positively. - Must be a team player, with exceptional interpersonal skills, a sense of humor, unquestionable ethics and integrity, and sound judgment. Must work well laterally both with other attorneys and with clients. - Organized and hard-working, ability to maintain focus while managing complex projects simultaneously in a fast-paced work environment and manage people and tasks to deadline. - Ability to communicate professionally and effectively, write clearly and concisely, translate legal implications of contract terms into identifiable business risks and make recommendations based on a considered risk-benefit analysis. - International, global, experience is very helpful.
Telecommuting is allowed.
Internal Number: WD30104496328
About Johnson Controls
Johnson Controls is powered by your talent. We are the power behind the customer mission. Together we are building a world that’s safe, comfortable and sustainable. Our diverse global team of 100,000 experts in more than 150 countries creates innovative, integrated solutions to make cities more connected, buildings more intelligent and environments more comfortable and secure.
Our commitment to sustainability and our legacy of innovation spans more than a century, dating back to our roots in 1885 and our invention of the first electric room thermostat. We provide meaningful opportunities to learn from the best and brightest in the industry. Your work will impact lives around the world. We give people the perfect environment, support and opportunities to make themselves the very best they can be.
We trust them with our tomorrow. They can trust us with their talent. We are committed to powering the customer mission and creating greater value for our stakeholders through strategic focus on our buildings expertise. The future requires bold ideas, an entrepreneurial mindset and collaboration across boundaries. Tomorrow needs your talent. Tomorrow needs you. So let’s talk today.
Johnson Controls is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, genetic information, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. For more information, please view EEO is the Law. If you are an individual with a disability and you require an accommodation during the application process, please visit www.johnsoncontrols.com/careers.
ACC is committed to compliance with all applicable equal employment laws. ACC In-house Jobline listings may not explicitly or implicitly discriminate on the basis of any prohibited factor.
Listings on the ACC In-house Jobline are for in-house attorney positions only. While we do not accept non-attorney corporate job listings, if you are hiring a corporate legal operations professional, contact LawDepartmentOps@ACC.com. By posting a job on the ACC In-house Jobline or using the service as a job seeker, you are agreeing to comply with our Terms and Conditions, including those relating to discrimination. The system administrator may delete postings, which do not comply. Employer postings removed by ACC are not subject to refund.
We are very interested in your thoughts as we continue to develop the ACC In-House Jobline to better serve your needs. If you have questions about ACC In-house Jobline, please call our helpdesk at: 1-888-491-8833 Ext. 1125 (Extension Required).