The Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) is the world's largest organization serving the professional and business interests of attorneys who practice in the legal departments of corporations, associations, nonprofits and other private-sector organizations around the globe.
Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) is developing groundbreaking solutions to manage retirement & healthcare services as well as maximizing investment returns for the state’s public education employees. Succeeding in life is about commitment and hard work—maybe a favorite school teacher imparted that idea to you along the way. At TRS, we take that to heart and believe life can also be a balance between giving back while excelling professionally.
In this role, you would advise on State and Federal health plan eligibility and benefit laws and regulations such as the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), CMS regulations for Medicate Advantage and Part D plans, and the Texas Insurance Code, and assist in the drafting and review of health benefit plan booklets and related documents. We are looking for a candidate who works well with others and can interact with outside counsel, internal personnel, and vendors in support of health plan subrogation and claim payment recovery efforts and negotiations. You must possess a thorough knowledge and experience with the laws and rules that apply to self-insured health plans and health insurance, including Medicare Advantage and Part D prescription drug plan.
The Health Care Attorney performs highly advanced (senior-level) legal work. Work involves providing counsel and related services primarily related to the administration of two (2) statewide health benefit plans for Texas public school employees and retirees; providing general legal counsel and representation to the Board of Trustees (Board) of the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS), management, and staff; and providing research and other legal support. This attorney works under minimal supervision with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
State Classification: General Counsel IV/3524/B31
• Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree from an accredited law school.
• Seven (7) years of full-time experience as a practicing attorney in at least one of the following areas: employee benefits, administrative law (open government, records management, rulemaking, etc.), or litigation.
• Four (4) years of experience in health law, including interpretation and application of laws and regulations relating to health insurance, health benefits, optional benefits, or plan design and administration; negotiation of contracts with a health plan administrator or pharmacy benefits manager; or the representation of clients responsible for developing or administering a health or optional benefits plan or providing such benefits or related insurance.
• Experience may be concurrent.
Registration, Certification, or Licensure:
• Licensed to practice law in the State of Texas and a member in good standing of the State Bar of Texas; or hold a valid, active law license issued by another state and be eligible for Texas licensure under Board of Law Examiners Rule 13: Applicants From Other Jurisdictions (candidate must obtain Texas license within eight months of hire date).
Internal Number: REQ 251
About Teacher Retirement System of Texas
The Teacher Retirement System of Texas is responsible for investing funds under its stewardship and for delivering benefits to members as authorized by the Texas Legislature. TRS is a defined benefit plan, with retirement benefits determined by a pre-established formula. The trust fund is sustained principally by three sources -- contributions by members during their working careers, contributions by the state and investment revenues.
TRS was founded over 80 years ago. With assets at $167 billion, the Trust is the largest public retirement system in Texas in both membership and assets. It is the sixth largest public pension plan in the U.S. and is among the 20th largest in the world. The agency serves more than 1.6 million people. Over 1 million are public and higher education members and over 400,000 are retirement recipients and beneficiaries.
Oakland, CA, Pasadena, CA, or Rockville, MD, California
Major, Lindsey & Africa
1 Week Ago
BACK TO TOP
ACC is committed to compliance with all applicable equal employment laws. ACC In-house Jobline listings may not explicitly or implicitly discriminate on the basis of any prohibited factor.
Listings on the ACC In-house Jobline are for in-house attorney positions only. While we do not accept non-attorney corporate job listings, if you are hiring a corporate legal operations professional, contact LawDepartmentOps@ACC.com. By posting a job on the ACC In-house Jobline or using the service as a job seeker, you are agreeing to comply with our Terms and Conditions, including those relating to discrimination. The system administrator may delete postings, which do not comply. Employer postings removed by ACC are not subject to refund.
We are very interested in your thoughts as we continue to develop the ACC In-House Jobline to better serve your needs. If you have questions about ACC In-house Jobline, please call our helpdesk at: 1-888-491-8833 Ext. 1125 (Extension Required).