The Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) is the world's largest organization serving the professional and business interests of attorneys who practice in the legal departments of corporations, associations, nonprofits and other private-sector organizations around the globe.
Join the growing FiscalNote Legal Team as you help chart the course for the company’s next phase of growth. You’ll be key to the success of the company’s efforts with equity and debt capital markets, M&A activity, and related reporting and diligence.
About the Role
The Assistant General Counsel reports to the General Counsel, is a partner to the business, and a steward of legal practice . You will work closely with other executives and external parties to identify and execute on key business objectives.
In this role, you will leverage your legal skills and business perspective to devise solutions that meet regulatory, business and organizational needs. You will use both a "business" and a "legal" approach, requiring responsibilities and competencies in various areas of corporate law, negotiation, deal-structuring, corporate governance and risk management.
Success In This Role Includes:
- Leveraging your experience using effective business growth and risk management techniques to offer proactive advice that enables the company to maximize opportunity and minimize liability
- Partner with other executives and parties in relation to legal matters and in leading the organization
- Lead M&A, equity and equity-related, credit/debt legal processes related to corporate development activities and capital raises and work extensively with the Finance and Corporate Development teams on such processes
- Anticipate and address legal matters, develop resolution strategies, lead/oversee and/or personally execute on these matters, and handle potentially difficult situations diplomatically
- Collaborate and partner with key stakeholders across the business, seek to understand needs, help to inform, educate and evangelize best practices
- Manage legal relationships with investors, strategic partners, stakeholders, auditors, regulators, and affiliates
- Embrace and exemplify FiscalNote Values in all dealings and interactions
What Sets You Apart:
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school and admission to a State Bar
- 8+ years work experience in a relevant law firm and/or in a leadership role as in-house counsel
- High growth, dynamic company experience required either in house or with similar clients at a firm; Tech (Saas), Information Services, and/or Media industry experience preferred. International company experience a plus.
- Working knowledge of capital raising process in both public and private equity and debt capital markets, and related reporting requirements and processes
- Functional and Enterprise leadership. Experience as a leader with the intellect and presence to become a true business partner across the company, capable of contributing to broader business conversations beyond their functional expertise
- Excellent interpersonal skills, collaborative, inclusive nature, and team-player attitude
- Exemplary verbal, writing, and presentation skills
- Experience effectively communicating strategic objectives and action plans across a variety of functions
- Strong negotiation skills with the ability to understand the needs of key stakeholders to navigate complex situations
- A willingness to roll up your sleeves to get things done while also working as an excellent manager, mentor, and leader
Additional Salary Information: Equity will be offered.
FiscalNote is a technology-powered global software data and media company that uses powerful machine learning to provide clients with the right policy information and insights, and at the right time so that they can better navigate market risk and uncertainty and maximize new opportunities.
As the premier hub of domestic and global information for more than 5,000 clients worldwide, FiscalNote’s tools, analysis, news, and award-winning journalism delivers context, clarity, and a competitive edge in a rapidly changing world.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so our open vacation policy helps us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious belief...s, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.
ACC is committed to compliance with all applicable equal employment laws. ACC In-house Jobline listings may not explicitly or implicitly discriminate on the basis of any prohibited factor.
Listings on the ACC In-house Jobline are for in-house attorney positions only. While we do not accept non-attorney corporate job listings, if you are hiring a corporate legal operations professional, contact LawDepartmentOps@ACC.com. By posting a job on the ACC In-house Jobline or using the service as a job seeker, you are agreeing to comply with our Terms and Conditions, including those relating to discrimination. The system administrator may delete postings, which do not comply. Employer postings removed by ACC are not subject to refund.
We are very interested in your thoughts as we continue to develop the ACC In-House Jobline to better serve your needs. If you have questions about ACC In-house Jobline, please call our helpdesk at: 1-888-491-8833 Ext. 1125 (Extension Required).