The Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) is the world's largest organization serving the professional and business interests of attorneys who practice in the legal departments of corporations, associations, nonprofits and other private-sector organizations around the globe.
Advance your career: Join the largest organization dedicated to advancing the interests of in-house lawyers around the world.
ACC is committed to compliance with all applicable equal employment laws. ACC In-house Jobline listings may not explicitly or implicitly discriminate on the basis of any prohibited factor.
Listings on the ACC In-house Jobline are for in-house attorney positions only. While we do not accept non-attorney corporate job listings, if you are hiring a corporate legal operations professional, contact LawDepartmentOps@ACC.com. By posting a job on the ACC In-house Jobline or using the service as a job seeker, you are agreeing to comply with our Terms and Conditions, including those relating to discrimination. The system administrator may delete postings, which do not comply. Employer postings removed by ACC are not subject to refund.
We are very interested in your thoughts as we continue to develop the ACC In-House Jobline to better serve your needs. If you have questions about ACC In-house Jobline, please call our helpdesk at: 1-888-491-8833 Ext. 1125 (Extension Required).
Under the general guidance of the VP Associate General Counsel, Commercial and Strategic Transactions, the Managing Attorney – Transactional Law (i) provides legal advice to the enterprise and (ii) supervises, mentors and coordinates the work of Sr Staff and/or Staff Attorneys as delegated. The Managing Attorney – Transactional Law will assume responsibility for key projects and functions within his or her Areas of Practice (as defined below) and coordinate and manage his or her inputs with those of other legal department members and outside counsel. The Managing Attorney – Transactional Law will provide recommendations on attaining enterprise goals while minimizing legal and financial exposure. Meaningful experience in four or more of the following substantive legal areas is preferable: general commercial contracts, complex transactions, construction contracts, finance, fund investments, mergers and acquisitions, trademarks, soft intellectual property/licensing, information technology, corporate governance, procurement, compliance, real estate, and risk management (collectively, the “Areas of Practice”).
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Operates autonomously in managing delegated key projects and functions within his or her Areas of Practice, including supervising and assigning work to and managing Senior Staff and/or Staff Attorneys and outside counsel as assigned.
2. Reviews, negotiates, analyzes, and drafts agreements.
3. Assists in counseling all levels of management and staff in diverse issues related to government and business operations in Areas of Practice.
4. Provides support for complex commercial transactions and relationships including start-up enterprises, joint ventures, investments, acquisitions and divestitures.
5. Leads due diligence efforts, under the direction of an Associate General Counsel, in complex transactions and in making strategic and tactical decisions with respect thereto.
6. Prepares legal documents related to legal entities including organizational/charter documents and agreements, resolutions, and meeting minutes.
7. Provides recommendations to attain enterprise goals while minimizing legal/financial exposure.
8. Advises on governance and compliance issues within Areas of Practice.
9. Assures best practices and timely updates to address emerging legal and business issues related to tribal government and its business enterprises. Analyzes and drafts tribal laws, regulations, and policies.
10. Performs other duties as assigned to support the efficient operation of the department including with respect to training and development of Senior Staff and/or Staff Attorneys.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the enterprise’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning reviewing and directing work; evaluating and appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Minimum of eight (8) years of legal work experience is required.
Five (5) years of prior leadership/management experience preferred.
Meaningful experience in four or more of the following substantive legal areas is preferable: general commercial contracts, complex transactions, construction contracts, real estate, finance, fund investments, mergers and acquisitions, trademarks, intellectual property, information technology, corporate governance, procurement, compliance, and risk management is desired.
Experience in both a law firm and in-house setting and managing attorneys is desired.
Juris Doctorate from an American Bar Association accredited law school is required.
Must be a member in good standing of the California Bar.
Experience working with tribal government preferred.
Equivalent combination of education and progressive, relevant and direct experience may be considered in lieu of minimum educational/experience requirements indicated above.
As a condition of employment with the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians Legal Department, incumbents are required to undergo and successfully pass pre-employment and annual post-employment background investigation including, but not limited to, Live-Scan fingerprinting, drug screening and criminal history background check.
A qualified candidate/employee must have a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record as determined by the company’s insurance carrier.
At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and San Manuel Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
As one of the largest private employers in the Inland Empire, San Manuel deeply cares about the future, growth and well-being of its employees. Join our team today!
Internal Number: R0002820
About San Manuel Band of Mission Indians
Nearly 5,000 people are building careers, lives and futures at San Manuel. Whether we’re working in one of the country’s busiest casinos, in our great restaurants, in business roles in the tribal and casino offices, or in our future hotel, we all share a commitment to building something greater for the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians, our team members, our guests and our surrounding community.