The Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) is the world's largest organization serving the professional and business interests of attorneys who practice in the legal departments of corporations, associations, nonprofits and other private-sector organizations around the globe.
Advance your career: Join the largest organization dedicated to advancing the interests of in-house lawyers around the world.
ACC is committed to compliance with all applicable equal employment laws. ACC In-house Jobline listings may not explicitly or implicitly discriminate on the basis of any prohibited factor.
Listings on the ACC In-house Jobline are for in-house attorney positions only. While we do not accept non-attorney corporate job listings, if you are hiring a corporate legal operations professional, contact LawDepartmentOps@ACC.com. By posting a job on the ACC In-house Jobline or using the service as a job seeker, you are agreeing to comply with our Terms and Conditions, including those relating to discrimination. The system administrator may delete postings, which do not comply. Employer postings removed by ACC are not subject to refund.
We are very interested in your thoughts as we continue to develop the ACC In-House Jobline to better serve your needs. If you have questions about ACC In-house Jobline, please call our helpdesk at: 1-888-491-8833 Ext. 1125 (Extension Required).
Position Summary: Responsible for identifying, evaluating, managing and mitigating the company’s risk through contractual agreements. Identifies and manages risk related to legal and insurance obligations and legal disputes and provides legal counsel to leaders and management regarding legal obligations and risks.
1. Reviews and negotiates customer contracts, vendor agreements, and real property leases and prepares redlines, modifications, and addendums. Negotiates changes compliant with company policy. Reviews miscellaneous agreements (non-disclosures, personal property leases, documents related to auto leases, etc.) and provides legal counsel to business leaders.
2. Manages litigation and insurance claims (auto and GL); ensures appropriate notice to/involvement of insurers with respect to potential claims; communicates with insurance brokers on questions regarding coverage.
3. Conducts due diligence with acquisitions and NDAs. Responsible for contract review and negotiation of any necessary agreements such as the purchase agreement, non-competes, leases, etc. Follows up with necessary tasks for successful integration. Coordinates with outside counsel and business leaders or colleagues to address all aspects of each transaction. Pro-actively identifies issues and works to resolve them favorably to the company and fairly to the seller.
4. Manages employee and prospective employee matters (including non-solicit/non-compete obligations) and works with outside counsel and VP HR to obtain advice and communicate to business leaders; participates in claims reviews and other meetings with adjusters/insurers as needed.
5. Advises management on key issues with contracts, leases, vendor agreements, and other various legal matters. Conducts specialized legal training as necessary and requested for leaders and/or colleagues.
6. Manages document retention policy, including hold notices and planned destruction dates.
7. Conducts legal research on legal issues/matters as necessary. Updates management on legal developments affecting our business.
8. Develops, maintains and reviews standard documents, subcontracts, non-disclosure agreements, and other legal/insurance resources; develops (with assistance of outside counsel as needed) new policies/procedures as needed.
9. Supervises or delegates appropriate tasks to paralegal. May manage performance, workload and conduct annual performance review.
10. Works with other in-house counsel to assess need for additional resources; evaluates and proposes additional resources as appropriate.
11. May manage bond close-out process and provide synopsis of key bond issues to leaders and for Management Board Meeting. May prepare Board meeting minutes and unanimous consents as necessary.
12. Performs other duties and responsibilities as requested or required.
Job Skills Requirements:
Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines
Ability to work independently
Must be able to manage a multitude of projects simultaneously and exercise independent judgment in solving complex problems
Ability to prepare and effectively present comprehensive reports and recommendations
Outstanding planning and organizational skills; ability to meet tight deadlines
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Excellent judgment and discretion, especially regarding confidential and sensitive matters
Strong research and analysis skills
Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
Juris Doctorate (JD) from an ABA accredited U.S. law school
Minimum of seven years of previous legal experience
Certifications & Licenses:
Licensed to practice law in Illinois / Member of the Bar of the Supreme Court of Illinois