The Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) is the world's largest organization serving the professional and business interests of attorneys who practice in the legal departments of corporations, associations, nonprofits and other private-sector organizations around the globe.
Advance your career: Join the largest organization dedicated to advancing the interests of in-house lawyers around the world.
ACC is committed to compliance with all applicable equal employment laws. ACC In-house Jobline listings may not explicitly or implicitly discriminate on the basis of any prohibited factor.
Listings on the ACC In-house Jobline are for in-house attorney positions only. While we do not accept non-attorney corporate job listings, if you are hiring a corporate legal operations professional, contact LawDepartmentOps@ACC.com. By posting a job on the ACC In-house Jobline or using the service as a job seeker, you are agreeing to comply with our Terms and Conditions, including those relating to discrimination. The system administrator may delete postings, which do not comply. Employer postings removed by ACC are not subject to refund.
We are very interested in your thoughts as we continue to develop the ACC In-House Jobline to better serve your needs. If you have questions about ACC In-house Jobline, please call our helpdesk at: 1-888-491-8833 Ext. 1125 (Extension Required).
Huntington Ingalls Industries (HII), seeks an experienced and dynamic attorney to act as Director and Assistant General Counsel for Aircraft Carrier Programs at its Newport News Shipbuilding (“NNS”) Division.
NNS is the sole designer, builder, and refueler of U.S. Navy aircraft carriers and one of two providers of U.S. Navy submarines. With approximately $4 billion in revenues and more than 20,000 employees, NNS is the largest industrial employer in Virginia and the largest shipbuilding company in the United States.
The selected attorney will have overall responsibility, accountability, and authority for legal matters regarding this set of first-tier, multi-billion dollar programs involving the construction of the Nation’s nuclear-powered aircraft carrier fleet as well as other related Navy programs and will report directly to the Vice President and Chief Counsel of NNS.
Responsibilities: Provide strategic and day-to-day legal and business counsel to the aircraft carrier leadership team, including the Vice President level, related to:
• Issue spotting and advising on all aspects of Government Contracting formation and execution including fiscal law, changes, data rights, nuclear indemnity, cost and pricing issues, false claims, and the nuances of sole source contracting. Counsel and collaboration will be required across a broad group of business functions and various levels of expertise.
• Provide primary counsel and review of unique terms-and-conditions for commercial Supply Chain contracting. Advise both entry-level buyers and senior experts on emergent supply chain issues such as cybersecurity, supplier quality, warranty, delay, prime contract flow down requirements, and other contract enforcement matters.
• Draft, review, and advise on teaming agreements, letters of intent, MOUs, non-disclosure agreements, and similar agreements adjacent to, but outside of, the traditional instruments of government contracting and standard supplier terms and conditions.
• Seamlessly integrate practical business advice and considerations into legal counsel with an emphasis on positioning the business to avoid potential problems in addition to meeting day-to-day challenges.
• Ability to train, mentor, and partner with colleagues and clients across the business, at all levels of expertise and build a broad and deep understanding of significant legal considerations in leading and growing the business.
• Provide assistance with other significant NNS matters and assume additional law department responsibilities as-needed; additional duties may include advising business functions such as operations, facilities, intellectual property, ethics, or safety and health. The successful candidate for this position will possess the attributes of a team player, multi-tasker, and strategic thinker, and will demonstrate a willingness to quickly accept ad-hoc assignments or lean-in to emergent issues for the good of the company and law department.
Must have a J.D. degree and Virginia State Bar membership (or ability to obtain state corporate counsel license), plus 10 or more years of experience as a practicing attorney, substantial experience in Government contracts law, and experience in commercial contracting and counseling. Must have a current active security clearance or the ability to obtain/maintain a security clearance.
Prior in-house experience as a program counsel and experience with Department of Navy contracts and the Navy Nuclear Propulsion Program is preferred.
Employer will assist with relocation costs.
Internal Number: 30128BR
About Huntington Ingalls Industries
Huntington Ingalls Industries is America’s largest military shipbuilding company and a provider of professional services to partners in government and industry. For more than a century, HII’s Newport News and Ingalls shipbuilding divisions in Virginia and Mississippi have built more ships in more ship classes than any other U.S. naval shipbuilder. HII’s Technical Solutions division provides a wide range of professional services through its Fleet Support, Mission Driven Innovative Solutions, Nuclear & Environmental, and Oil & Gas groups. Headquartered in Newport News, Virginia, HII employs more than 40,000 people operating both domestically and internationally.Builder of the most complex ships in the world for 132 years at Newport News, and 80 years at Ingalls.Sole builder of U.S. Navy aircraft carriers, the world’s largest warships, and one of two builders constructing nuclear-powered submarines.Exclusive provider of refueling services for nuclear-powered aircraft carriers, at the forefront of new ship technologies, specialized manufacturing capabilities and nuclear facility management.Largest industrial employer in Virginia and Mississippi, and an employer in Louisiana and Alabama....Largest supplier of U.S. Navy surface combatants—has built more than 70 percent of Navy fleet of warships.Builder-of-record for 41 DDG 51 class Aegis guided missile destroyers.Builder of record for the LHA 6 class large-deck amphibious ships and the sole builder of the Navy’s newest fleet of the San Antonio (LPD 17) class amphibious assault ships.Builder-of-record for the flagship of the U.S. Coast Guard – the National Security Cutter.Provider of a wide variety of products and services to the nuclear energy, oil and gas markets, including Department of EnergyProvider of mission critical and practical solutions to a wide variety of government and commercial customers worldwide through Technical Solutions.Unrivalled experience in modular engineering and construction with innovative new solutions for upstream, midstream and downstream energy infrastructure.Employs approximately 5,000 engineers and designers.