ACC is committed to compliance with all applicable equal employment laws. ACC In-house Jobline listings may not explicitly or implicitly discriminate on the basis of any prohibited factor.
Listings on the ACC In-house Jobline are for in-house attorney positions only. While we do not accept non-attorney corporate job listings, if you are hiring a corporate legal operations professional, contact LawDepartmentOps@ACC.com. By posting a job on the ACC In-house Jobline or using the service as a job seeker, you are agreeing to comply with our Terms and Conditions, including those relating to discrimination. The system administrator may delete postings, which do not comply. Employer postings removed by ACC are not subject to refund.
We are very interested in your thoughts as we continue to develop the ACC In-House Jobline to better serve your needs. If you have questions about ACC In-house Jobline, please call our helpdesk at: 1-888-491-8833 Ext. 1125 (Extension Required).
We are a leading global specialty chemicals manufacturer, providing essential chemistries/chemicals for diverse end-markets, including agriculture, cleaning, construction, food, fuels, oil and gas, personal care, pharmaceuticals, plastic applications (automotive) and pulp and packaging.
We have over twenty different product lines, operate in over 80 countries, employ ~ 10,000 employees and generate ~ €5 billion in revenue.
Vice President and Deputy General Counsel
Netherlands (relocation available)
Executive Vice President and General Counsel
· Legal Director – Asia Pacific
· Chief IP Counsel
The Deputy General Counsel – based in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
The Deputy General Counsel (“DGC”)l will serve as the #2 person in a department of 50+ employees deployed around the world. The DGC will serve as the lead counsel for corporate finance, M&A, securities filings, corporate governance and related compliance. S/he will be the primary in-house business counselor for the finance, treasury and tax teams and will supervise the Asia-Pacific legal team as well as the global intellectual property team. In addition, S/he will assist other Company attorneys around the world. S/he will be responsible for understanding corporate law and governance as they relate to the Company and its subsidiaries. S/he will also be responsible for ensuring compliance with applicable laws, and providing corporate legal advice to Company management while keeping business objectives a priority.
Our attorneys are located in the Netherlands, Sweden, China, Brazil, Germany and the United States. The headquarters is business casual.
Significant travel will be required.
Pivotal Experience & Expertise
The DGC will have 10+ years of strategic legal experience with recent experience supporting a large manufacturing chemicals or industrial/manufacturing business on a global basis. In addition, the DGC will have deep SEC and governance and executive compensation experience, including board presentations and managing board and committee processes. This position will report to the Company’s Executive Vice President & General Counsel and serve as his “right hand”. The DGC must be an excellent business advisor and counselor who is hard-charging, high-energy, dynamic, and a self-starter who will communicate clearly, be responsive, engaged in the business, and proactive.
o Strong academic credentials, including a J.D. or equivalent degree from a well-respected U.S. law school.
o Experience practicing with a major AMLAW 500 law firm.
o Licensed to practice in at least one state in the United States.
· Required Experience:
o Minimum 10+ years of legal experience with at least 5+ years of training at a top law firm.
o Deep understanding of corporate law.
o Strong corporate finance experience.
o Significant corporate governance experience.
o Deep experience with securities and the filing process.
o Strong experience managing board/committee processes and presentations.
o Experience in a private equity environment (or similar) with experience of an IPO or newly public company very beneficial.
o Strong experience in executive compensation and related public company disclosure requirements.
o Demonstrated success in a variety of legal functional areas.
o Knowledge of governance best practices and a proven track-record of implementing these strategies.
o Experience with global M&A.
o Experience with intellectual property. Experience working with an outsourced or largely outsourced IP model is highly beneficial.
o Knowledge of securities/governance best practices and a proven track-record of implementing these strategies.
o Experience creating and implementing legal department budgets.
· Required Skills:
o Results Oriented - action-oriented problem solver; commercially savvy and committed to getting into the details of a matter and personally handling it through to conclusion;
o Team Player - ability to work well and build relationships across all levels of the organization, and be highly effective and able to maximize the efficiency of the legal department;
o Business Focus - business-orientation with good judgement and the ability to drive innovative solutions and strategies, and to appropriately balance risk with the need for action;
o Global Vision - global experience sufficient to provide sophisticated advice to the company, particularly in foreign jurisdictions;
o Communicator - excellent communication/presentation skills and able to communicate “up, down and around” the organization.
o Continuous Improvement Mentality - focused on improving the Company’s service, products and processes, with ability to drive continuous improvement;
o Personal Attributes - high energy with the highest levels of personal and professional integrity.
o Outstanding legal reasoning and analysis, and strategic thinking.
o Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
o Strong negotiation skills.
• Must be results-oriented and demonstrate strategic thinking, innovation, flexibility in dealing with changing and ambiguous situations. Must also have a teaching mentality.
• This role is a visible and very personal; thus, the individual must exhibit executive presence, strong relationship skills, a consultative approach, and the highest level of professionalism and discretion.
• Demonstrates high energy, knows how to energize teams and has a proven track record on decision making and execution.
• Possess interpersonal and relationship skills to quickly establish himself/herself as a credible and intelligent business partner within the executive leadership team; one who is sought out for advice and counsel and can be trusted to get things done.
• Proven ability to work in a project management environment and in team settings, where doing “whatever it takes” is required.
• Focus on supporting and implementing business objectives -with a "lean"/continuous improvement and agile approach.
• Solutions-oriented individual with ability to manage/prioritize multiple projects simultaneously and meet tight deadlines consistently without sacrificing attention to detail.
• Excellent oral and written English skills.
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to work under pressure to meet strict deadlines and goals.
Culture Fit & Impact
• Strong personal drive: does not require others to direct activities. Sets high goals or standards of performance for self and is dissatisfied with average performance. Has a high need to achieve successfully.
• Ability to define and forge new standalone culture. Understands working in a high-performance culture and can help drive this into the business.
• Team-player, leads by exemplifying shared organizational values. Demonstrates high levels of integrity.
• Comfortable working within a lean environment where “doing” – not just leading is mandatory.