ACC is committed to compliance with all applicable equal employment laws. ACC In-house Jobline listings may not explicitly or implicitly discriminate on the basis of any prohibited factor.
Listings on the ACC In-house Jobline are for in-house attorney positions only. While we do not accept non-attorney corporate job listings, if you are hiring a corporate legal operations professional, contact LawDepartmentOps@ACC.com. By posting a job on the ACC In-house Jobline or using the service as a job seeker, you are agreeing to comply with our Terms and Conditions, including those relating to discrimination. The system administrator may delete postings, which do not comply. Employer postings removed by ACC are not subject to refund.
We are very interested in your thoughts as we continue to develop the ACC In-House Jobline to better serve your needs. If you have questions about ACC In-house Jobline, please call our helpdesk at: 1-888-491-8833 Ext. 1125 (Extension Required).
In cooperation with the Principal - Contracts and Legal Operations, the Associate Counsel is primarily responsible for analyzing, summarizing and drafting contracts and other complicated legal documents; making suggestions for alterations of those documents as needed and providing other key legal support to the Principle of Contracts and Legal Operations and the rest of the Legal Team, as needed. With the guidance of the Principal - Contracts and Legal Operations the Associate Counsel will work directly with both internal partners and outside commercial stakeholders to structure, revise, and negotiate company contracts while monitoring compliance with applicable laws/regulations, internal commercial standards, other contract provisions, and the strategic business interests of the company. The Associate Counsel will also provide legal services in other areas as assigned, including but not limited to employment law, intellectual property, and other areas common to a multi-billion consumer goods corporation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Reviews and negotiates contracts supporting the operations of the company, including supply chain, sales, shared services and other miscellaneous agreements.
• Performs special projects as assigned from time to time by the Principal - Contracts and Legal Operations, Association General Counsel, or General Counsel.
• Provides legal support in other key areas (including but not limited to employment law, intellectual property, benefits, etc.) to the Principal - Contracts and Legal Operations, Association General Counsel, or General Counsel.
• Establishes effective working relationships with all Sargento stakeholders.
• Has a strong understanding of the company's products and business strategies.
• Uses extensive knowledge and application of contracting fundamentals and key contract provisions to, under the oversight of the Principal - Contracts and Legal Operations, ensure that all contracts are tailored to the opportunity and are consistent with corporate guidelines.
• Provides initial review and perspective on all assigned contract related matters and, under the oversight of the Principal - Contracts and Legal Operations, provides authoritative guidance to internal business teams on matters that relate to contracting activity.
• Provides quick, effective, and legal counsel to the organization in other areas as assigned.
• Communicates effectively and professionally with all levels of staff and management and facilitates the resolution of their legal and contract related concerns. Understands and anticipates departmental needs and corporate matters; delivers high quality service and results. Communicates with internal business partners seeking clarification of and/or decisions on business terms in contracts, other legal concerns, and ensures timely follow up and completion of all matters assigned.
• Possesses superior communication, facilitation and consensus-building skills and demonstrates strong problem-solving skills; comfortable tackling complex problems and ability to show results.
• Has a strong organizational awareness with an understanding of how to engage the organization to get things accomplished and exhibits a high degree of personal initiative.
• Remains current on all policies, procedures, and strategic plans of Sargento Foods Inc. as they relate to the area(s) supported by the corporate legal department.
• Has a strong work-ethic and client-service oriented perspective.
• Performs other duties, as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE Juris Doctorate degree with a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in legal transactions. Previous in-house experience is preferred but not required.
LANGUAGE SKILLS The Incumbent must possess strong writing skills and grammar knowledge. Ability to convey complex information, verbally and in writing, in an easy to understand format is required. Ability to read, analyze and interpret laws and regulations, legal journals, general business periodicals, technical journals and procedures. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present technical and/or legal information and respond to questions from groups of managers and customers.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS Ability to work with basic mathematical concepts. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, conversions and proportions to practical situations. Knowledge of metric system is preferred.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES Strong ability to identify relevant laws and regulations and their accurate interpretation. Strong communication, mediation and problem solving skills. Flexibility and ability to adapt to changing priorities.
REASONING ABILITY Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions, legal analyses, laws and regulations and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position works in a typical office environment. Infrequent visits to a plant environment may be required.
Internal Number: 18-1010
About Sargento Foods Inc.
With more than 2,000 employees and growing, Sargento leads in innovation. We created the world’s first, successful pre-packaged sliced and shredded natural cheeses, changing what families bring to the table. Founded in 1953, we are family-owned. And like your family, we take pride in our past and invest in our future.
At Sargento, we “hire good people and treat them like family.” Balance in Life, Recognition, Humor and Fun and Excellence are part of who we are and how we work. In addition to manufacturing and marketing amazing natural cheese products, we give generously to our communities because Sargento believes in family.