ACC is committed to compliance with all applicable equal employment laws. ACC In-house Jobline listings may not explicitly or implicitly discriminate on the basis of any prohibited factor.
Listings on the ACC In-house Jobline are for in-house attorney positions only. While we do not accept non-attorney corporate job listings, if you are hiring a corporate legal operations professional, contact LawDepartmentOps@ACC.com. By posting a job on the ACC In-house Jobline or using the service as a job seeker, you are agreeing to comply with our Terms and Conditions, including those relating to discrimination. The system administrator may delete postings, which do not comply. Employer postings removed by ACC are not subject to refund.
We are very interested in your thoughts as we continue to develop the ACC In-House Jobline to better serve your needs. If you have questions about ACC In-house Jobline, please call our helpdesk at: 1-888-491-8833 Ext. 1125 (Extension Required).
Our client, Moly-Cop, operates a worldwide network of industry leading production facilities that manufacture grinding media used primarily by global copper, gold, and iron ore producers to break down ore in the primary phase of mineral concentration. Moly-Cop is the industry’s innovator and has deep technical knowledge in both the underlying metallurgy of its high-performance products and the specific product application requirements its customers demand.
They supply the industry with the widest range of grinding ball product sizes from 1.0” to 6.5” balls and manufacture a leading range of high quality grinding rods, mining chemicals and forged rail consumables. You can learn more about our client at www.molycop.com.
The Senior Legal Council position is a global role that exists to effectively and efficiently:
deliver commercially sound legal advice and services
manage legal risks
ensure legal compliance and corporate governance for Moly-Cop
The primary focus of this role is to support the Moly-Cop business units globally, and the functions that support them, to execute on their strategies in a commercially sound and legally compliant manner.
The role is to be based in the Moly-Cop Global Head Office in Omaha, enabling the Moly-Cop Legal team to better provide legal support and coverage across all time zones in which Moly-Cop businesses operate. Spanish language skills will further assist with providing that global support.
The role operates as a legal adviser and business partner to the Moly-Cop businesses, supported by the Chief Legal Officer, to provide transactional legal advice and support to these businesses, with a sharp commercial focus. The role contributes value to Moly-Cop by:
being highly accessible and available to the businesses to provide “real time” legal advice and support
providing practical and commercially sound legal advice that is easy to understand, timely and tailored for the businesses
formulating strategies and solutions that are commercially practicable, legally sound and which minimise risk
building legal and commercial capability in the businesses through targeted initiatives and regular communication and contact
being able to prioritise work according to key business objectives and to work flexibly to support changing business requirements
being proactive around emerging external legal issues
maximising returns on legal expenditure
The role requires a blend of internal and external focus. The internal focus is on interacting with a range of employees in business at different levels ranging from the Chief Executive Officer to site managers and leaders. The role also participates in the setting and implementation of legal function strategy and operations, in conjunction with the Chief Legal Officer. The external focus is on doing business with suppliers, customers and third parties, scanning the regulatory and legal environment and interacting with regulatory bodies.
Role accountabilities and scope
Global compliance program
In conjunction with the Chief Legal Officer:
· deliver regular face-to-face compliance training for targeted groups (once every 2-3 years for each business)
· develop online compliance training program
· deliver face-to-face compliance training for new recruits, including senior executives
· undertake annual review of global compliance program
· report and help manage material compliance breaches, including support the relevant businesses by providing legal advice and guidance
· manage company secretarial requirements for legal entities across all regions, including preparation of board papers, regulatory filings, resolutions, etc
· supervise and support the office manager/cosec coordinator
· manage and instruct external cosec suppliers (local country law firms)
· support subsidiary director induction, training and skills development
· provide support and guidance to local staff who manage in-country cosec work
· provide support to the Vice President, Research and Development, for registrations and renewals of trademarks, patents, designs and business names and generally assist with management of Moly-Cop’s IP database (in conjunction with external IP specialist provider)
· develop and/or review collaboration and related agreements with universities eg UNSW polymer injection project, licensing agreements, including instruct external legal advisers
Business-as-usual legal advice and support
Provide legal advice and support to the Moly-Cop business units to assist them to achieve their objectives, including by proactively providing commercially sound and timely legal advice in relation to:
· contract and tender review, drafting and negotiation
· commercial dispute resolution and litigation
· safety, environment and other legal compliance issues
· interacting with regulators, including in respect of safety and environmental incidents
· insurance policy renewal process and insurance claims
· trade practices, international trade and general commercial law
· property transactions, including sales, purchases and leases
· special projects undertaken by the businesses or the legal team from time to time (including restructuring work, acquisitions and divestments)
· guidance on application of the Delegation of Authority Policy
Pro-actively identify, analyse and communicate current and emerging legal issues with potential to impact the relevant businesses and, in consultation with those businesses, develop and implement mitigation strategies to address associated legal risks.
Provide legal advice and support to the Treasury team, including review legal documentation, liaise with bankers, advise on existing finance and funding arrangements.
Manage external counsel
In conjunction with the Chief Legal Officer, manage the provision of legal services by external law firms so as to ensure legal service providers deliver cost effective services which satisfy business and legal requirements.
Training and building awareness
Build contracting capability in the relevant businesses through education and coaching.
Build an awareness of relevant legal compliance issues (including competition, safety, anti-bribery and corruption, sanctions, etc) and a compliance culture in the businesses through training, coaching and implementation of annual compliance program.
Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor of Laws or equivalent, preferably with at least a high-credit average in law subjects
Admitted to practice as a lawyer in the USA
At least 10 years relevant post-graduate experience, preferably a combination of practice in a law firm and work as an in-house lawyer
Commercial and corporate law experience
Fluent English mandatory
Spanish language skills preferred
Confident, outgoing legal adviser able to win and build trust and to achieve status as a trusted legal adviser to business managers at country manager/general manager level and above.
Commercially savvy and capable of providing practical solutions and workarounds to issues and problems across all areas of the business.
Inquisitive, interested and engaged in the business, its people, products, customers, markets, and competitors. Prepared to “roll up his/her sleeves” and get involved to work directly with various stakeholders at all levels of the business.
Able to work autonomously, proactively research and use resources available (including precedents, policies, resources provided by external law firms, etc.)
Communicates in language and format that business managers can easily understand and digest
Able to build rapport with different levels of management and to manage competing demands/priorities. Is a team player and capable of working collaboratively and cooperatively with others at all levels of business.
Strong negotiation, drafting and influencing skills
Demonstrated ability to deal with change and to adapt to new tasks and requirements quickly.
Ability to work under pressure, including tight time constraints, and to deliver and close out projects and key deliverables.