ACC is committed to compliance with all applicable equal employment laws. ACC In-house Jobline listings may not explicitly or implicitly discriminate on the basis of any prohibited factor.
Listings on the ACC In-house Jobline are for in-house attorney positions only. While we do not accept non-attorney corporate job listings, if you are hiring a corporate legal operations professional, contact LawDepartmentOps@ACC.com. By posting a job on the ACC In-house Jobline or using the service as a job seeker, you are agreeing to comply with our Terms and Conditions, including those relating to discrimination. The system administrator may delete postings, which do not comply. Employer postings removed by ACC are not subject to refund.
We are very interested in your thoughts as we continue to develop the ACC In-House Jobline to better serve your needs. If you have questions about ACC In-house Jobline, please call our helpdesk at: 1-888-491-8833 Ext. 1125 (Extension Required).
We are a global distribution and manufacturing company with headquarters in Manhattan, seeking a General Counsel (GC) with international experience in all facets of commercial business transactions including litigation management, drafting and negotiation of commercial agreements, mergers and acquisitions, environmental. Maritime experience preferred but not required.
About the Position
The GC handles all legal affairs of the company, directing the organization's legal and compliance functions. The GC acts as the primary legal advisor to the Board of Directors, company executives and senior management team, and provides legal advice and counsel to internal clients within our corporate and business operations. This position reports directly to the President.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as General Counsel to the parent and its subsidiaries.
- Lead, manage and develop a small in-house legal department, including cost effective management of the department and outside counsel.
Responsibilities of the Legal Department include the following:
- Provide legal advice, opinions and solutions regarding issues and risks related to ongoing and expanding business.
- Participate in establishing policies and procedures that are consistent with the organization's broad objectives.
- Draft, negotiate and review commercial contracts, including nondisclosure, M&A, financing, real estate, contractor/subcontractor, marketing, sales, purchase, distribution, sub-contracting , licensing, intellectual property, maritime and other agreements in connection with the company's activities on a day-to-day basis and in line with company policies and risk tolerance.
- Develop, implement and enforce compliance policies and procedures in connection with the company's business operations, including environmental, labor and employment, antitrust, OFAC, and other areas of regulatory law.
- Mergers and acquisitions transactions, including contract negotiation and direct oversight and support of due diligence activities in connection with M&A.
- Manage all litigation and claims including tort, product liability, environmental, employment and commercial matters, dispute analysis, formulation of case strategies and tactics, coordination of insurance recovery, cost management, implementation of appropriate reporting mechanisms, negotiation and preparation of settlement agreements, and coordination with senior management.
- Select, retain and supervise outside counsel worldwide, as needed.
- Monitor regulatory developments, identifying the impact on, and changes required within the business; develop and implement work practices, policies and procedures in line with regulatory and business requirements.
- Provide management training with respect to the company's policies and changes in law affecting the company.
- Serve as corporate secretary for parent and all subsidiaries.
- Bar admission in good standing in New York.
- Minimum 15-20 years senior levelexperience (General Counsel, Legal Director, etc.) in a mid-size company with international operations.
- In-depth experience in contract, business, environmental and M&A contract negotiations (maritime a plus).
- Ability to effectively work in a highly collaborative, responsive manner, with the ability to escalate critical issues to senior management and advise on resolution.
- Keen business acumen, strong leadership ability and excellent negotiation skills.
- Ability and willingness to quickly learn a new area of legal expertise and adapt as business needs change.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage several simultaneous projects under deadline pressure.
- Willingness to produce original work.
- High energy level and high degree of self-motivation, with a sense of urgency to achieve stated business goals.
- Experience delivering or recommending timely solutions that meet legal requirements and business objectives of the company.
- Superior drafting skills, especially the ability to draft contract language that is clear, concise, and easily understood.
- Exceptional written, verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, discretion, and compliance with the Rules of Professional Responsibility for attorneys.
- Available evenings and on weekends, as necessary.