Role Title: Senior Commercial Attorney
Team: BT in the Americas
Location: Dallas, NY, VA
Travel requirement: As needed
Existing authorization to work in the United States is required. Relocation support for this position is not currently available.
Purpose of Job
- To lead in the negotiation and provision of Legal support relating to complex commercial contract deals (both customer and supplier facing) in the United States and globally.
- To act as a key advisor to a broad spectrum of internal client organizations that contribute to overall business success, including product houses, Finance, Sales, and Procurement.
- To recognize and drive advances in how BT does business in a changing external marketplace through in-depth business understanding.
- To participate in internal decision-making for global transactions that ensures consistency with business strategies and profitability.
- To collaborate with a global team of Legal, Compliance, and Regulator professionals to develop leading edge policies and to adopt positive changes that enhance likelihood of success for the business as a whole.
- To assist the business as it evolves from a traditional telecoms provider to a cloud services integrator.
What you’ll be doing
Serve as the lead in-house attorney on global, multi-disciplinary deal teams representing BT in the US on major transaction with both customers and suppliers in accordance with BT's guidelines and policies
Identify own, and mitigate commercial risks arising from proposed deals through provision of creative commercial/ legal solutions
Understanding the principles of all legal issues: contract, tax, competition, employment, intellectual property law relating to asset transfers and regulatory issues in the context of multi-jurisdiction projects and an ability to recognize when and who to escalate issues to and who to engage for specialist advice
Create commercial business models appropriate for individual customer’s requirements, while also ensuring protection of BT’s interests at all times
Act as lead/ support negotiator and assist in building and managing a legal & commercial negotiating team on a virtual basis
Work across business units and countries, adopting a team approach to multi-jurisdiction bids
Interface with the relevant Finance representatives and work as an integral member of the business unit team
Work in co-operation with other parts of BT to establish and update policies and standards in an evolving marketplace
Conduct regular reviews of all deals and where necessary update processes to reflect lessons learned
Develop a clear understanding of the customer’s or vendor’s requirements and champion the requirements within the business, and, where appropriate, drive these requirements to satisfactory resolution
Ensure appropriate communication of deal objectives and deal progress to senior BT management, in order to assist in their decision-making and commitment to the deals
Be a change agent by identifying new ways of doing business consistent with market trends and new regulatory environments, with particular focus on cloud-based services, data protection and privacy developments, and more efficient ways of contracting
Be an active proponent within the Legal team of efficiencies and collaboration
Maintain and improve relationships with other groups and client teams within BT
Comply with the requirements and values of the BTGS Code of Practice.
Key Working Relationships: (Internal/External customers and suppliers) • Customers: Sales channel, BDM, consultants, Finance, Bid Managers, landlords and real estate agents, external contractors and agents.