Princeton Legal Search Group has been retained on an exclusive basis by Edge Therapeutics, Inc. to conduct a search for a Senior Corporate Counsel to serve as the No. 2 lawyer on the team. This position is based at the company’s headquarters in Berkeley Heights, New Jersey.
Edge Therapeutics is an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, dynamic, collaborative, publicly-traded, clinical-stage biotech company, with a lead product currently in Phase 3 clinical trials. Edge expects to have results from this pivotal trial in 2018.
The Senior Corporate Counsel will be the No. 2 lawyer in the Edge legal department, occupying a position of significant responsibility and reporting directly to Edge’s Senior Vice President, General Counsel & Secretary. This individual will work closely with Edge’s senior business, finance, clinical, regulatory, manufacturing and R&D teams to provide a broad array of legal support, with a primary focus on transactional matters. Successful performance in this role will contribute meaningfully to Edge’s overall success.
- Building strong and transparent relationships with internal clients.
- Reviewing, negotiating and drafting a broad range of key agreements between Edge and third parties, such as license agreements, business development agreements, master services agreements, clinical trial agreements, manufacture and supply agreements, consulting agreements and HR agreements.
- Continually improving the efficiency and effectiveness of legal contract support within Edge while maintaining the quality and consistency of contracts across the organization.
- Creating, updating and maintaining contract templates.
- Serving as a generalist on legal matters for Edge, adding legal and business value across numerous functional areas.
- JD degree; licensed to practice law in the United States.
- At least 6+ years of relevant transactional experience in-house and/or with a national law firm. Transactional experience in the life sciences sector is required.
- Exemplary negotiating and drafting skills.
- Demonstrated business savvy.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks and handle multiple projects simultaneously and efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently, yet collaboratively, at all levels, while keeping key stakeholders informed.
- Ability to exercise initiative and sound judgment and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
In order to work effectively in Edge’s small (but growing) dynamic work environment, every employee must have a strong mix of key attributes and competencies including, but not limited to, the following:
- Fosters Teamwork – Fosters an environment where people trust and value each other and recognize the importance of each role in the organization; recognizes the impact of cultural differences on teams; encourages cooperation, coordination and information sharing.
- Drives Results – Has an entrepreneurial mindset, sense of urgency and commitment to become an integral and hands-on part of a dynamic, fast-moving team working to save patients’ lives.
- Drives Execution – Gets things done by setting clear expectations, monitoring progress, and consistently following up . Maintains attention to detail and accuracy and the highest degree of integrity.
- Promotes Open Communication – Creates an environment where communication is expected, supported, clear, candid, transparent and relevant; listens actively and encourages open expression of ideas and opinions, including creative suggestions that will create the most efficient and effective methods of achieving Edge’s business goals.
- Demonstrates Adaptability – Demonstrates an ability to adapt appropriately to changing conditions, including business situations, people and changing priorities; an ability to work constructively under pressure; an ability to respond resourcefully to change and ambiguity and learn from one’s mistakes.
- Manages Risks – Demonstrates ability to take and manage appropriate risks and use them to the organization’s advantage. Commits to professional growth and continual improvement in order to fuel Edge’s growth.