We are Farmers!
Join a team of diverse professionals at Farmers to acquire skills on the job and apply your learned knowledge to future roles at Farmers. Farmers Insurance also offers extensive training opportunities through the award winning University of Farmers named by Training magazine amongst top 10 corporate training units in the world. Start your career at Farmers today!
Furnishes specialized legal advice to Farmers New World Life departments in matters dealing with the most critical legal areas. Researches and prepares written opinions to such legal questions. Assists in carrying out legal procedures to resolve matters in Farmers New World Life Company affairs.
Essential Job Functions
- Monitors all legal matters related to the Farmers New World Life Company as assigned by General Counsel.
- Provides specialized legal interpretations relating to the Life Company.
- Researches and prepares legal memoranda and opinions on specialized questions including corporate transactions and corporate secretarial, and legal liability pertaining the Farmers New World Life Company.
- Makes appearances before regulatory agencies.
- Assists in the drafting of bills for proposed legislation.
- Drafts letters, opinions, and briefs directed to government boards and agencies (e.g., insurance departments, attorney generals, and boards of equalization).
- Prepares legal briefs and pleadings in specialized matters involving New World Life Company organizations.
- Conducts legal research and drafts points, authorities, briefs, and reports.
- Researches and writes opinions for Claims department on liability or coverage of particular files.
- Monitors recovery from the Companies' carriers relative to expenses and liabilities arising from corporate litigation.
- Responsible for and anticipates the legal needs of the areas assigned to the Corporate Legal Divisions.
- Approves and modifies forms of insurance policies, endorsements, and other forms; and interprets policy language.
- Correlates policy coverage with booklets describing coverage distributed to employees and agents.
- Indexes legal opinions and keeps index of recent cases and legal articles pertinent to the areas assigned to the Corporate Legal Divisions
- Manages special assignments as requested by legal department management.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required job duties are essentially sedentary; however, the incumbent must be able to speak, hear normal conversation and read normal newsprint; have the ability to lift and/or carry 50 lbs.; climb normal stairs and step stools and reach to a height requiring complete extension of the torso, arms and legs.
Required job duties are normally performed in a climate-controlled office environment with some exposure to uncontrolled outside environmental conditions and travel via automobile and/or commercial transportation.
LLB or JD degree and licensed to practice law in at least one state (Preferably Washington); as well as meet all MCLE rules and regulations.
Four years as an attorney in the field of corporate law and experience in related areas of responsibility. Experience with life insurance, financial services, or general insurance preferred.
Special Skill Requirement
Basic computer knowledge.
Farmers is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the strength of a diverse workforce.