PetSmart is currently seeking a highly motivated and experienced attorney to join our Legal Department in Phoenix, Arizona as the Senior Counsel of Labor and Employment/General Litigation. This qualified candidate will report to the Associate General Counsel- Legal Operations and provide strategic direction to the organization in the areas of labor and employment as well as general commercial litigation.
- Provide proactive, timely and cost effective legal advice and services to business clients regarding labor and employment matters; including, hiring practices, internal disciplinary proceedings and grievances, terminations, unions and union activities, training, policies and procedures.
- Manage litigation, arbitration, charges, grievances, claims, other contentious matters and investigations involving labor and employment issues.
- In partnership with the Human Resources Department and other internal business clients, develop and implement strategies to promote compliance with labor and employment laws and regulations.
- Manage general litigation docket keeping Legal colleagues and internal clients apprised of developments.
- Develop, prepare and present case theories and strategies, including eDiscovery strategies, working collaboratively with internal clients and outside counsel where appropriate.
- Analyze claims, gather facts, interview participants, review key documents, and identify relevant information, custodians and witnesses.
- Identify suitable outside counsel for large/complex litigation; negotiate rates and alternative fee arrangements. Develop and manage litigation budgets, including eDiscovery, while identifying efficiencies and cost savings.
- Manage outside counsel actively, effectively and efficiently, to provide direction on the strategies to be implemented.
- Prepare and deliver written and oral presentations to internal clients, including senior executives and Board of Directors, on legal issues and litigation docket.
- Investigate potential violations of law or of PetSmart’s Code of Ethics and Integrity, and take appropriate actions, as necessary, to resolve such matters.
- Assist in the prevention of violation of laws and regulations that could damage the Company’s reputation as a law abiding and ethical company, through legal compliance training and counseling, or otherwise.
- Monitor changes in applicable laws and regulations to ensure PetSmart’s compliance with them.
- Where necessary, develop and implement best practices, process improvements and protocols to ensure PetSmart compliance with applicable laws and regulations relating to eDiscovery, document retention, and litigation management practice.
Minimum Required Education, Experience, and Skills:
- JD from an ABA accredited law school, and be a member in good standing of the Bar of at least one state.
- 10+ years of law firm and/or corporate experience handling a broad array of general litigation as well as labor and employment legal issues.
- In-house experience preferred.
- Ability to assess risk along with strong, pragmatic business acumen and the ability to recognize the business consequences of legal advice.
- Excellent interpersonal/people skills and the ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Keen intellect, excellent communication skills and credibility so as to interact effectively and influence management at all levels.
Please apply online at: https://jobs.petsmart.com/job/phoenix/sr-counsel-labor-and-employment-general-litigation/899/4410711
We are an equal opportunity employer.