Astellas is the bright spot in the pharmaceutical industry -- not just because of what we do, but in the way we do it. If you are looking for a company where you can change a life, make a dream come true, and light the way for a better tomorrow, Astellas is the place where you can shine.
We offer a different kind of work culture. A high standard of ethics is mandatory. Quality is our pledge. Diversity is valued. Individual initiative is rewarded. Astellas offers an environment where our employees can make a real difference. Come, shine with us!
Astellas is announcing an Assistant General Counsel Development & Commercial Strategy/Corporate Operations opportunity in Northbrook, IL.
Purpose & Scope:
The attorney in the role of Assistant General Counsel -- Development & Commercial Strategy / Corporate Operations (AGC) at Astellas will be responsible for providing practical, timely and high quality legal services for a broad range of commercial and other transactions and related matters in support of the Astellas Pharma US organization. The AGC will be expected to independently identify legal issues and their implications on the business objectives, conduct a thoughtful analysis of possible solutions, and give practical recommendations for addressing these issues so that business and legal objectives are able to be met. The AGC will be expected to consult with and advise Astellas employees, managers and senior management, and educate clients on a proactive basis. The AGC may also participate in and provide leadership on a variety of Legal and cross-functional teams.
Specific duties will include matters such as counseling and drafting related to commercial contracts and transaction support with partners across the broad healthcare ecosystem such as wholesalers, specialty distributors, pharmacies (specialty, retail, etc.), data and other service providers, administrators (PBM, GPO, etc.) as well as public and private purchasers. Duties may also include providing legal counseling and drafting in support of Business Development, Alliance Management and Supply Chain/Manufacturing matters.
The ultimate responsibility of this position is to facilitate the business objectives of the Company by providing thoughtful, timely and effective legal support while minimizing potential legal exposure and risk.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Serve as legal advisor in complex business transactions and legal/business projects with minimal supervisor assistance.
- Recognize competing legal and business interests in contract negotiations and other commercial matters and provide thoughtful, balanced solutions.
- Memorialize creative and well-formed solutions in transaction documentation in a manner that fosters the Company's business interests and advances the Company's goals.
- Review, analyze and remain current on federal, state and international legal developments, affecting the pharmaceutical industry, including U.S. anti-kickback, healthcare fraud and abuse, government pricing, anti-bribery/corruption and antitrust laws.
- Clearly and effectively render practical, timely legal advice on variety of issues that are central to the operation of a business in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Clearly and effectively explain complex legal/commercial issues and transactions to Company management.
- Act with minimal supervisor assistance as an effective legal advisor in the negotiation and settlement of business disputes to avoid litigation and protect the Company's interests.
- Effectively collaborates with global Legal colleagues in intersecting cross-specialty areas (e.g. IP, regulatory, litigation/risk management and insurance).
- Performs special projects as assigned and demonstrates leadership ability on a wide range of issues.
- Represents Legal department on cross-functional committees, both domestic and global.
- Identifies, develops and implements business process improvements that will enhance the delivery of legal counsel in supporting transactions and related business decision-making.
- Identifies training needs within client groups and assists in the development and presentation of training on relevant laws, regulations and legal/business issues.
- Effectively manage outside counsel within budget parameters including working creatively to minimize fees and expenses.
- Identify, develop and lead special projects (as assigned).
- Manage one or more attorneys/paralegals
- Overnight travel (including international travel) as needed.
- Responsible for operating within the Legal budget, and any applicable project specific budgets.
- Reports to Associate General Counsel - Development & Commercial Strategy / Corporate Operations (DCSCO).