Guggenheim Life and Annuity Company is seeking an exceptional attorney to join the legal team. Reporting to the General Counsel, this person will work extensively with the Investment Team through all aspects of the investment process, with particular focus on legal aspects including: structuring, regulatory compliance, transaction documentation and all relevant additional legal considerations. The ideal candidate will have a background in one or more of the following practice areas: restructuring, structured finance, corporate mergers and acquisitions or insurance regulatory and compliance. This position presents an opportunity to work in an extremely fast paced environment on challenging legal and business matters.
The role is located in Chicago.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Provide general legal support to the Investment Team on both specific transactions and portfolio management
- Work with the Investment Team on originating, structuring and executing direct investments
- Lead and advise on contract issues, legal risks and business terms on transactions
- Provide solutions to maintain and create competitive business advantages while also properly identifying and, when appropriate, mitigating commercial, regulatory and compliance risks
- Participate in various projects as assigned, including mergers and acquisitions and reinsurance transactions
- Manage outside counsel as necessary
- Stay informed on all regulatory and legislative changes that may affect the company and investment process
Skills & Experience Required:
- Juris Doctor from accredited law school, and licensed to practice in Illinois, or qualified to obtain licensure to practice in Illinois within 6 months
- 5-10 years of practical experience at top law firm or in-house experience
- Strong problem solving skills with a demonstrated ability to take initiative, work independently as well as cooperating with others and critically analyze various issues associated with sophisticated investment arrangements and transactions
- Ability to work diligently in an environment of short deadlines with accuracy and efficiency
- Broad array of transactional work, particularly around debt financing, securities lending, repurchase transactions, derivatives and reinsurance
- Insurance Holding Company Act or insurance company investments regulatory experience preferred
- Ability to see and understand situations from the various perspectives or multiple constituencies
- Strong organizational, verbal and written communication skills
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Practical and possess sound judgment, self-confidence and the willingness to find practical solutions to business and legal questions
- Ability to discharge responsibilities with minimal oversight while keeping supervisor informed
- Ability to develop legal strategy and implement in the context of the investment process
In addition, the ideal candidate will be or have:
- Innovative, proactive and solutions-oriented
- Resilient self-starter with good people skills, an affable personality and the ability to work well with many different personalities
- Able to adapt quickly and appropriately in accordance with the constant evolution of the company and industry
- Comfortable working in a very fluid environment
- Willingness to take on broad scope of tasks to accomplish project specific goals
- Able to travel to other locations as needed
About Guggenheim Partners
Guggenheim Partners is a global investment and advisory firm with more than $260 billion1 in assets under management. Across our three primary businesses of investment management, investment banking, and insurance services, we have a track record of delivering results through innovative solutions. With 2,300 professionals based in over 25 offices in six countries, our commitment is to advance the strategic interests of our clients and to deliver long-term results with excellence and integrity. We invite you to learn more about our expertise and values by visiting GuggenheimPartners.com and following us on Twitter at twitter.com/guggenheimptnrs.
1Assets under management are as of December 31, 2016 and include consulting services for clients whose assets are valued at approximately $63 billion.
About Guggenheim Life and Annuity Company
Guggenheim Life and Annuity Company, a subsidiary of Guggenheim Partners, provides financial services to institutional and retail customers through fixed annuity products distributed through networks of independent marketing organizations and agents nationwide.
To succeed in the Guggenheim culture, candidates must be self-starters and strive for results. We are looking for people who operate as business owners, adhere to the highest standards and think creatively to realize opportunities, wherever they may be.
Guggenheim Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diversified and inclusive workforce. To apply, please visit our website: https://guggenheim.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/External_Careers_Site/job/Chicago/Insurance-Transactional-and-Compliance-Attorney_10638