Our client, Chain an emerging company market leader in blockchain technology has exclusively retained Solutus Legal Search in the addition of its first legal executive and General Counsel. This attorney will report directly to the CEO and will be part of an executive team navigating one of the most exciting and disruptive technologies in the market today. Chain has raised over $40M from leading venture capital firms and strategic investors – and the company’s board of directors includes the former CEO of American Express as well as one of the founding executives of PayPal.
The ideal candidate will possess at least 8/10+ years of experience in the following areas: drafting and negotiating large complex enterprise software agreements; and handling general corporate, IP, employment, HR and regulatory matters. A familiarity with open source is a plus. Experience in fintech is strongly preferred, but our client will consider attorneys with experience in enterprise software and big data/database companies.
In house experience is required and local candidates (San Francisco Bay Area) will only be considered at this time.
The General Counsel will lead every aspect of Chain’s commercial deals with its large enterprise client base. This includes structuring and negotiating complex and high value agreements. As these agreements are the primary driver of Chain’s revenue, the General Counsel will play a key role in growing the company. In addition, s/he will manage Chain’s general corporate, IP and regulatory matters as they arise.
The ideal attorney will possess a strong legal and business background and have deep expertise in enterprise software business models and licensing. S/he will thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment and bring a high level of enthusiasm for Chain’s mission.
- Lead every aspect of Chain’s client agreements, which involves structuring complex, high value, multi-year contracts and leading the negotiation process, including legal and business terms with your executive counterparts.
- Manage general corporate, commercial, IP and regulatory matters.
- Structure, draft and keep up-to-date standard software licenses for Chain’s products.
- Support the broader organization on any agreements under executive consideration including: agreements with channel partners, vendors for materials & services, non-disclosure agreements, and others as required.
- Work closely with senior clients and internal executives on new business and ongoing agreements.
- Ensure that Chain is compliant in its ongoing contractual obligations.
- Engage and manage outside counsel as needed.
- JD degree with 8/10+ years of relevant legal experience.
- In-house and law firm experience with high quality employers.
- Experience in fintech and/or enterprise software industry strongly preferred.
- California Bar or Registered In House Counsel membership.
- Superb negotiating skills including extensive experience negotiating complex and high value enterprise agreements.
- Familiarity with open source software licensing and business models.
- Self-starter with entrepreneurial drive and a willingness to roll up your sleeves and do what it takes to get the job done.
- Ability to partner and collaborate cross-functionally.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Superb attention to detail.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
We are on the frontiers of a technology revolution. And blockchain…and Chain are leading the way. We have visited the company’s cool, architectural San Francisco offices and met with the executives to learn about Chain’s vision and position in the market. For those seeking a great adventure with the opportunity to help shape the company and create lasting impact as well as work with smart, enthusiastic colleagues…..this is an opportunity of a career.
Chain has exclusively retained Solutus Legal Search to conduct this prestigious search. Interested candidates, please submit your materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates circumventing Solutus will be referred to us for consideration.