Our OhioHealth family of associates is a collaborative group that discovers and succeeds together. Our culture is defined by our mission and OhioHealth values of excellence, compassion, integrity and stewardship.
OhioHealth has been a FORTUNE 100 Best Company to work for since 2007. Being a Best Company is about our culture and how we engage one another. This recognition is one measure of our success in achieving a part of our vision -- to be an organization "where people want to work."
Position Summary: The Office of the General Counsel of OhioHealth seeks an attorney to fill the role of Assistant General Counsel. In this role, the successful candidate will provide legal advice on healthcare and corporate matters for the organization and will work closely with OhioHealth business units, senior leadership, and outside legal counsel.
The Office of the General Counsel of OhioHealth consists of eleven lawyers, seven paralegals and support staff and is organized into four work groups. Each work group is responsible for the legal representation of a varied portfolio of business units within the organization and is led by a senior level attorney responsible for managing the overall work product for its business units. In addition, each group works collaboratively with matrixed responsibility for certain subject matter expertise and projects.
The successful candidate will report to one of the current team leads and will assist in all aspects of the legal representation of assigned business units for multiple work groups. This will include providing advice, guidance and strategic counsel to management on a wide variety of legal issues which arise from the day to day operations of a growing, complex organization operating in a heavily regulated environment.
- Provide legal advice and services on a broad spectrum of issues facing a large healthcare system with a focus on acquisitions/transactions, contract drafting and negotiation, and healthcare regulatory advice.
- Draft, review, analyze and negotiate complex legal documents, with a heavy emphasis on purchasing contracts, information technology agreements, license agreements, and other transactional documents.
- Provide day to day legal counsel on miscellaneous regulatory issues affecting the healthcare industry (regulatory fraud and abuse issues, impact of the Affordable Care Act, etc.).
- Research specific issues or work with outside counsel as required to respond to internal client legal questions.
- In coordination with the work group senior attorney, provide advice and counsel to business leads on a wide variety of corporate and commercial issues arising in day-to-day operations of a complex organization in a heavily-regulated environment.
- Develop a thorough understanding of and familiarity with the organization’s business, its people, markets, facilities, customers and competitors in order to identify trends and formulate appropriate legal advice, structures and strategies.
- Establish and maintain a rapport and working relationship with business managers in order to encourage and continue the proactive use of in-house legal counsel.
- Perform special assignments as needed.
- Support and collaborate with other work groups within the department, as needed.
- Support and develop collaborative working relationships within the department.
- Undergraduate degree and Juris Doctor degree from a recognized national school of law with superior academic record and a license to practice in the State of Ohio (or eligible for admission within 1 year)
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a law firm or in-house legal department (or combination thereof)
- Experience in healthcare representation with an emphasis on contracting, and business transactions
- Background in any of the following areas would be a plus:
o intellectual property/information technology; or
o real estate transactions; or
o managed care contracting; or
o management of medical malpractice defense claims
- Excellent knowledge of healthcare law and regulation
- Business acumen and understanding of hospital operations
To learn more and apply, please visit: www.ohiohealth.com/careers and search Job ID 953006.
For further information, please contact Christopher Borasz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OhioHealth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.