Reporting directly to the General Counsel, the Chief Legal Counsel, Operations will be a strategic partner to the Company’s operations function, which encompasses manufacturing, regulatory and contracting responsibilities. The role will shape and communicate effective, customer-driven strategies, and translate strategy into sustainable operating plans. There will be a focus on leading, managing, and building a team to address a broad range of legal issues surrounding the manufacturing, selling, development, and procurement of medical technology products consistent with laws, regulations, and policies.
Responsibilities include managing and advising on all legal and compliance issues that arise in the selling, procurement, manufacturing, and distribution of the Company’s products and services and the management of commercial contracts, ensuring compliance with fraud and abuse legislation and other applicable laws and regulations. The position will interact on a daily basis with the sales and marketing, manufacturing, medical affairs and regulatory affairs departments. The position will actively participate in the Company’s legal and compliance leadership team and the global quality and operations leadership team. They will have occasional interaction with government agencies and trade organizations.
The Chief Legal Counsel, Operations role requires extraordinary organizational capabilities in addition to outstanding technical legal skills in the relevant areas noted above. The role requires the ability to work in a matrix organization with excellent teamwork, leadership and ability to identify and develop talent.
- Providing direct legal support on a broad range of issues that relate to the manufacturing, marketing and procurement of medical technology products and services.
- Leading, managing, and building a team for maximum development and impact, identifying talent and skill gaps, seeking opportunities to grow the knowledge and expertise needed for future success and fostering collaborative environment and employee engagement.
- Advising, influencing, and building relationships with the management teams in various departments involved with the manufacturing and selling of the Company’s products and services.
- Preparing, reviewing, revising and negotiating legal documents to ensure the Company’s obligations are compatible with management’s philosophy.
- Interpreting existing contracts.
- Responding to issues as they arise in diverse matters affecting day-to-day business operations by assisting, advising, investigating, researching and resolving legal matters.
- Protecting Company in all business relationships.
- Helping to drive legal strategy to align with and achieve business objectives.
- Ensuring Company compliance with legal policies and regulations, and with state and federal laws regarding the sale and marketing of Company’s products and services.
- Identifying potential legal issues related to proposed transactions.
- Participating in structuring and negotiating transactions and setting procedures to reduce risk.
- Proactively monitoring pertinent laws, regulations, and industry trends affecting the manufacturing, distribution, sales and marketing of Company’s products and services, and assisting with the development of appropriate polices and training as needed.
- Following and supervising/overseeing the implementation, development, and improvement of internal processes of greater significance and scope.
- Advising business leaders within the global quality and operations teams and working with outside counsel, when necessary and approved.
- Representing the Company in meetings with government agencies and trade organizations.
- Leading a global team of approximately 20 professionals, including legal counsels and contract administrators.
- Initiating, developing and supervising/overseeing in-house training and education.
- Collaborating and communicating with colleagues, senior leadership, and outside counsel.
- Performing other duties as needed.