The Assistant General Counsel is responsible for ensuring that the MFA is in compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations. The Assistant General Counsel is also responsible for reviewing contracts, which may include, but is not limited to, physician employment agreements, medical director agreements, real estate leases, equipment leases, vendor and information technology contracts, HIPAA analysis, and healthcare compliance. The Assistant General Counsel will ensure that MFA’s interests are protected. To this end, the Assistant General Counsel will develop and update checklists, legal content, templates & forms for use at MFA. The Assistant General Counsel will primarily work with and support the Associate General Counsel but may on occasion work directly with the General Counsel and/or the Chief Compliance Officer as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily as well as other duties as may be assigned.
• Have specialized expertise in healthcare regulations, including, without limitation, Stark, Anti-Kickback, False Claims, and HIPAA.
• Provide legal counsel on issues arising from business transactions.
• Conduct and coordinate research into a variety of legal issues.
• Write, review, and edit reports, opinions, correspondence, articles, and other documents.
• Write and administer complex vendor, client, and employment contracts.
• Develop and recommend of operating policy and procedural improvements.
• Anticipate and guard against legal risks facing the company.
• Provide leadership and guidance to support all aspects of the contracting process.
• Develop and oversee standard terms and conditions for award letters, agreements and contracts.
• Write and review memoranda of understanding, as necessary.
• Provide advice on developing contracts and sub-awards to project teams and departments.
• Draft and review contracts, leases and other legal documents.
• Review contract modifications.
• Ensure that the contracts database is maintained.
• Monitor contractor and sub-recipient reporting requirements, and evaluate narrative and financial reports to ensure administrative and legal compliance.
• Ensure that contracts/files are maintained, including closing, consolidating and archiving completed contracts and files.
• Ensure systems and controls are in place to maintain compliance with all applicable organizational policies and procedures, applicable laws and regulations, and donor rules and regulations.
• Develop guidelines, procedures, standards, etc. to ensure that MFA has comprehensive contract/sub-award management system.
• Provide advice and guidance on corporate governance and corporate risk management issues.
• When requested, provide advice and guidance on regulatory issues that affect MFA staff.
• Other duties as assigned.