Job Title: Senior Director & Assistant General Counsel, Operations
Company: Rockwell Collins, Inc.
Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Experience: A strong strategically-thinking corporate lawyer with 10-15+ years qualified experience working for a combination of law firms, the government and/or corporations.
Compensation: Competitive benefits, salary, and relocation package
Ranked as one of the best-managed companies in the aviation industry, Rockwell Collins is a pioneer in the design, production and support of innovative solutions for our customers in aerospace and defense. Our expertise in flight-deck avionics, cabin electronics, mission communications, information management and simulation and training is strengthened by global service and support network spanning 27 countries. Working together, Rockwell Collins’ global team of nearly 20,000 employees shares a vision to create the most trusted source of communication and aviation electronics solutions.
Rockwell Collins’ aviation electronics systems and products are installed in the flight decks of nearly every air transport aircraft in the world. Our airborne and ground-based communication systems transmit nearly 70 percent of all U.S. and allied military communication. Rockwell Collins is constantly developing new technology to enable network-centric operations for the military, delivering integrated electronic solutions for aircraft or providing a level of service and support that increases reliability and lowers operational costs for our global customers.
In 2016, Rockwell Collins was ranked as one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies (WME) for the fifth year in a row and named to Forbes magazine’s “global High Performers” list. It was also ranked No. 3 on Aviation Week & Space Technology’s Top Performing Companies List in its category of aerospace and defense companies reporting revenues between $1 billion and $5 billion in 2015.
A Fortune 500 company, Rockwell Collins is listed on the NYSE with the ticker symbol: COL. For further information about the company please visit their website: www.rockwellcollins.com
The corporate legal team is based in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA. This role will be a senior role in our department and in the corporation.
The position reports directly to Paul Coe, Vice President & Associate General Counsel, Operations. He is based in the company’s headquarters office in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Paul has been with the company since 2001 and prior to joining Rockwell Collins served as the Group Counsel and Staff Vice President for the Aerospace & Electronics Group at Litton Industries Inc. Paul is responsible for all Rockwell Collins’ domestic and international Operations counsel, Labor & Employment counsel, International Compliance and Data Privacy counsel as well as Intellectual Property counsel.
Paul received his Bachelor of Science, Economics from the University of Houston in 1979 and he received his JD from Pepperdine University School of Law in 1983.
Senior Director & Assistant General Counsel, Government Operations
This position will report to Paul Coe, Vice President & Associate General Counsel, Operations, with primary responsibility supporting Rockwell Collins’ Government Systems’ business operations.
The Senior Director & Assistant General Counsel, Operations, will be primarily responsible for providing legal advice and counsel to management of Rockwell Collins’ Government Systems’ business unit and, in certain cases, for advising management of the Company as a whole on an enterprise-wide basis (including management of other Rockwell Collins business units and Rockwell Collins Shared Services) regarding such subjects as U.S. and International Government and commercial terms and conditions, joint ventures, teaming agreements, and U.S. Government procurement regulations.
In addition to performing these primary duties and responsibilities, the Senior Director & Assistant General Counsel, Operations will:
- Take lead responsibility to effectively manage complex, high dollar value litigation, arbitration and dispute resolution matters.
- Manage outside counsel representing the Company so that the desired results are obtained in a timely and highly cost effective manner.
- Provide proactive legal support for the development, negotiation and execution of Company business strategies.
- Actively support merger and acquisition due diligence activities.
- Proactively assist in the prevention of violation of laws and regulations that could damage the Company’s reputation as a law abiding and ethical company, through legal compliance training and counseling, or otherwise.
- Investigate with the assistance of outside counsel potential violations of law or of the Company’s Standards of Business Conduct and, as necessary, review mandatory or voluntary disclosures thereof to responsible governmental or other authorities, and take other appropriate actions, as necessary, to resolve such matters.
- Assist Company contract managers in their review and negotiation of unusual contract terms and conditions and ensure that significant risks are being properly evaluated and managed by senior management.
- Actively monitor changes in applicable laws and regulations and assure the Company’s compliance with them.
- Review draft marketing/communications documents such as press releases, catalogs, brochures, etc. to prevent potential or inadvertent misleading advertising.
- Closely coordinate with the Vice President & Associate General Counsel, Operations, on all significant legal matters, and ensure that he is kept abreast of the status of legal matters.
- Actively engage in Rockwell Collins Law Department and enterprise Lean Electronics initiatives, as necessary.
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED RESPONSIBILITIES
- Antitrust and competition law compliance.
- Environmental, bankruptcy and related laws and regulations.
- FCPA and UK Bribery Act.
- Data Privacy