An Engineering News Record top 400 “Heavy” construction company, serving the Washington DC metropolitan area, seeks a qualified General Counsel or Senior Associate General Counsel. The Company offers great benefits; the salary will be commensurate with background and experience. This position coordinates in all aspects with the V.P., Senior General Counsel/Executive Risk Manager, as follows:
General Responsibilities --
- Provide strategic and specific legal advice to all levels of management.
- Evaluate and recommend governance and compliance policies.
- Anticipate issues, estimate risks, and identify proactive solutions.
- Create associations of trust and respect with key stakeholders.
- Deal with external parties and issues (regulators, clients, laws, regulations, etc.).
- Manage attorneys and staff of Legal Department.
- Proven experience practicing in construction and business environments.
- Substantial knowledge and experience in construction law, government contracts, with general overall legal knowledge in commercial transactions, corporate law, litigation, labor, & related business issues.
- Excellent judgement and analytical skills.
- First class interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to anticipate legal issues or risks and to “see around the corner”.
- J.D. degree or equivalent, with Bar in DC, MD, VA, or all three.
- Bilingual in Spanish is considered an asset.
Duties include some or all of the following –
- Review of and assist in negotiation of contracts; draft standard terms.
- Review lien releases and change orders.
- Control (i.e., 1st Chair or oversight) of prosecution and defense for contract claims, accounts receivable actions, property damage claims; defense of personal injury and workers compensation claims.
- Manage and review work of Claims Manager and Claims Investigator, including claims reports, witness statements, etc.;
- Oversight of Claims Manager re. claim prosecution & defense, claim reporting, insurance adjuster management, settlements, etc.
- Provide advice to & assist: Estimating Dept., Project Management Staff, and Contract Administrators re. bids, procurements, ongoing contract matters; Personnel Staff re. human resource matters; and Owners and Officers re. corporate legal and general business matters.
- Serve as needed on: Drivers’, Discipline, and/or Safety Committees.
- Assist with Compliance Program matters and issues (as needed).
- Create Standard Operating Procedures (as needed).
- Participate in executive/ ownership issues regarding the Company’s policies.
- Represent Company in public meetings, affairs, events, etc.
- Manage workflow/assignment of duties of Legal Department (+/-8 persons).
- Review of time sheets, Monitor schedules & Approval of Leave.
- Performance, Raise and bonus evaluations.
- Hiring and termination of Legal Department staff.
- General oversight of physical facilities, equipment, etc. for legal services.