ACC is committed to compliance with all applicable equal employment laws. ACC In-house Jobline listings may not explicitly or implicitly discriminate on the basis of any prohibited factor.
Listings on the ACC In-house Jobline are for in-house attorney positions only. While we do not accept non-attorney corporate job listings, if you are hiring a corporate legal operations professional, contact LawDepartmentOps@ACC.com. By posting a job on the ACC In-house Jobline or using the service as a job seeker, you are agreeing to comply with our Terms and Conditions, including those relating to discrimination. The system administrator may delete postings, which do not comply. Employer postings removed by ACC are not subject to refund.
We are very interested in your thoughts as we continue to develop the ACC In-House Jobline to better serve your needs. If you have questions about ACC In-house Jobline, please call our helpdesk at: 1-888-491-8833 Ext. 1125 (Extension Required).
General Commercial/Contracts, Technology, Transactions
Reporting to GE Transportation Executive Counsel – Commercial, the Senior Commercial Counsel – Digital will be responsible for providing commercial legal support for the GE Transportation Digital business organization as well as other commercial software activities within GE Transportation. Primarily, the Senior Commercial Counsel - Digital will provide assistance to our sales and operations teams to support and facilitate sales of equipment and services with software content, commercial software development, licensing, integration and data migration transactions.
The Senior Commercial Counsel – Digital will need to be a self-motivated commercial attorney, with extensive experience in reviewing, drafting and negotiating commercial contracts related to equipment and service sales involving software content, software development, software implementation projects, SaaS, cloud computing, outbound and inbound software licensing, integration and data migration. This role will be responsible for crafting risk allocation frameworks, drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements and working closely with GE Transportation Projects Counsel to support the Software Project Managers and Contract Management teams in the management of complex software projects, both domestically and internationally.
You will be tasked with building solid processes around contract drafting, negotiation, and project / contract management, and to provide legal support and guidance to GE Transportation’s Digital business and other sub-businesses with regard to software related legal issues. This role will work closely with other members of the GE Transportation Legal team, as well as other functions, including Sales, Program Management and Finance, to identify issues requiring legal / business approval. This role will also work directly with customers’ procurement / legal departments as needed to help expedite negotiations and transaction close.
The Senior Commercial Counsel – Digital must be able to interpret contract terms and bring out the issues that need either a business or legal decision. The successful candidate will be comfortable working in cross-function teams, as well as supporting numerous contracts at one time while remaining responsive to and communicative with internal clients. This role will also work closely and collaborate with the GE Software COE and overall GE Digital initiatives, as well as attorneys in other GE businesses supporting Digital business activities, on shared or cross-business initiatives.
In addition you will:
Draft, review, and negotiate a broad range of commercial sales agreements for equipment and services, as well as software licensing, integration and data migration commercial agreements, including statements of work, inbound and outbound software licenses, service level and support services, consulting services, partner agreements and nondisclosure agreements
Support the GE Transportation software development community, commercial operations and enabling functions with respect to legal matters related to all aspects of the operation and commercialization of GE Transportation Digital products
Provide advice and counsel regarding a wide range of legal and compliance matters, including those concerning development and operation of software, licensing of third party software and use of open source
Work closely with GE Transportation Projects Counsel to help support commercial contract managers for software related contracts and projects, and help to develop and implement contract management policies and procedures
Provide training and advice to business clients on legal and compliance issues
Develop playbook and processes to enable consistency in agreements across commonly negotiated terms
Coordinate legal support to the GE Transportation Digital business regarding contract interpretation and guidance, particularly regarding disputes or other issues that develop during contract execution
Work closely with members of the IP legal team to select the most appropriate form of intellectual property protection and help grow the GE Transportation IP portfolio in the software technology area
Maintain commercial and risk management policies and procedures, and ensure consistent application of these through sound partnering with business client
· Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school
· Minimum of 7 years of experience in business law, with significant contract drafting and negotiating experience; including experience in reviewing and negotiating product and service sales agreements, software licensing, integration and data migration statements of work, service level and support services and professional services agreements
· Member in good standing with the State Bar
· Strong communication and negotiation skills
· Time spent in the software and technology practice of a top level law firm or large corporation
· Experience in effectively participating in cross-functional business and legal teams in addressing and resolving legal issues
· Experience in handling sophisticated commercial and technology transactions and developing strategic and innovative plans for collaboration with key business partners
· Understand key commercial risks and areas for opportunity and able to lead project risk review process and assessments
· Demonstrated ability to successfully negotiate contracts that manage risk while allowing commercial success
· Proven capability of working in a matrix environment and of leading by influence
· Willing to work at a detail level
· Accountable; accepting and adhering to high ethical moral and personal values in decisions, communications, actions and when dealing with others
· Resourceful; the ability to solve problems through analytics and effectively leverage networks and deploy resources to accomplish tasks and reach goals
· Energizing; displays an engaging, can-do, optimistic attitude, inspires others to achieve more than they imagined
· Clear thinker; ability to effectively identify and solve problems
· External focus; understands customer needs, marketplace dynamics, industry trends and competitive landscape in the industry / function
About General Electric Company - GE Transportation
At GE Transportation, we are in the business of realizing potential. We are a global technology leader and supplier of equipment, services and solutions to the rail, mining, marine, stationary power and drilling industries. Our innovations help customers deliver goods and services with greater speed and savings using our advanced manufacturing techniques and connected machines. Our digital solutio...ns, which provide data-driven insights to improve efficiency, utilize Predix – GE’s cloud-based operating system for the Industrial Internet. Established more than a century ago, GE Transportation is a division of the General Electric Company that began as a pioneer in passenger and freight locomotives. That innovative spirit still drives GE Transportation today and is strengthened by our ability to serve customers more holistically through the GE Store – a global exchange of knowledge, technology and tools across all GE businesses that ultimately provides better outcomes for customers. GE Transportation is headquartered in Chicago, IL, and employs approximately 10,000 employees worldwide.