Marriott International, Inc., named by Fortune Magazine as one of the "100 Best companies to Work for in America", has an immediate opportunity for a Corporate Counsel – Americas Lodging position at its corporate headquarters.
The Americas Lodging Group helps Marriott achieve business objectives through the group’s understanding of key relationships arising from Marriott’s system of hotels in the United States and Canada and the group’s representation of Marriott in these relationships.
The work of the attorneys on the team principally takes the form of providing commercial transactional support (such as negotiating, drafting and interpreting numerous types of contracts) and providing legal guidance on a variety of matters where knowledge of the hotel industry, Marriott’s strategic objectives, various hotel-related disciplines, and certain legal subjects is essential.
This position will report directly to the Vice President and Assistant General Counsel, Americas Lodging Group Leader.
Under guidance from the Group Leader, the attorney in this position will focus on representing Marriott with respect to (a) issues arising from existing management agreements or franchise agreements (such as interpretations, amendments, terminations or restructurings) and (b) hotel owner transactions (such as sales and financings of hotels).
As directed and advised by the Group Leader, the Corporate Counsel attorney will work with assigned clients on a variety of initiatives and projects.
Successful candidates should possess the experience, knowledge, and skills as follows:
- Excellent academic record with a law degree preferably from a top law school;
- Minimum of 5 years legal experience, preferably in commercial transactions;
- Active Bar membership;
- Proven contract drafting and negotiating skills;
- Ability to expeditiously identify and analyze issues and provide legally sound recommendations consistent with good business practices and reason;
- Ability to work under stressful conditions with owners, lenders, and partners of properties in financial distress;
- Strong interpersonal skills, and ability to interact effectively and work diplomatically with individuals at all levels;
- Ability to foster relationships and individual accountability across the organization;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent conflict management skills, and ability to influence without coercion;
- Ability to identify opportunities for improvement and to facilitate the implementation of creative solutions;
- Ability to work independently, take ownership of and effectively resolve problems; and
- Ability to expeditiously identify and assess issues and provide legally sound recommendations consistent with good business practices and reason.
Marriott offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits. For immediate consideration, please go to Marriott’s resume posting site at http://www.marriott.com/careers and post your resume on our site. Please include the following ad code on your resume and in the field requested on our site to be considered for this job. Job # 160001VJT EOE M/F/V/D