ACC is committed to compliance with all applicable equal employment laws. ACC In-house Jobline listings may not explicitly or implicitly discriminate on the basis of any prohibited factor.
Listings on the ACC In-house Jobline are for in-house attorney positions only. While we do not accept non-attorney corporate job listings, if you are hiring a corporate legal operations professional, contact LawDepartmentOps@ACC.com. By posting a job on the ACC In-house Jobline or using the service as a job seeker, you are agreeing to comply with our Terms and Conditions, including those relating to discrimination. The system administrator may delete postings, which do not comply. Employer postings removed by ACC are not subject to refund.
We are very interested in your thoughts as we continue to develop the ACC In-House Jobline to better serve your needs. If you have questions about ACC In-house Jobline, please call our helpdesk at: 1-888-491-8833 Ext. 1125 (Extension Required).
Senior Corporate Counsel and Director, Commercial and Marketing Contracts
Russell Reynolds on behalf of Global Technology Company
February 12, 2018
Washington Suburbs, D.C.
Full Time - Senior Attorney
7-10 years experience
General Commercial/Contracts, Technology
For more than 20 years, our client has been a global leader in the technology sector, providing services that power the internet and protect websites and enterprises around the world. Russell Reynolds is pleased to lead a search to find a Corporate Counsel and Director of Legal for all marketing contracting and advertising review. This individual will manage other attorneys in a dynamic department that cuts across business lines and will be responsible for reviewing and drafting contracts for proposed business-to-business and business-to-consumer marketing programs, and ensuring those programs are compliant with regulatory rules. In addition, this individual will oversee attorneys who review and analyze global advertising content for compliance with local laws and regulations. While the role is focused on marketing contracts and advertising content, the Director will be part of a team that also supports the client’s primary line of business on a diverse array of matters, will help with new product development and will have an opportunity to grow and take on responsibility in a growing global business.
grow and take on responsibility in a growing global business.
In your application e-mail, please include a brief statement about your experience with marketing & advertising, e-commerce, and contracts/transactions.
Based in northern Virginia, the role is full time and requires a presence on site. The successful candidate will:
Oversee a team that draft contracts and terms and conditions for marketing programs
Serve as the escalation point for a 4-person team that supports the global marketing organization regarding marketing programs and marketing and advertising content to enable successful promotion of the client’s products and services
Maintain familiarity with policies that govern the company’s marketing and incentive programs and advertising content
Review and analyze marketing and advertising content for compliance with worldwide laws and regulations and offering legal risk mitigation strategies across multiple jurisdictions
Monitor and maintain general awareness of pending regulation that is relevant to the company's business interests
As requested, lead special projects and initiatives that will require advising the General Counsel, other members of the legal department and senior management on a broad range of legal matters
In addition, this leader will be expected to:
Set a tone of unwavering dedication to the highest standards, and possess and project the gravitas and confidence to achieve effective and team-first working relationships with senior members of the legal team, executives, and other key employees
Effectively manage assigned staff (attracting, retaining and developing talent)
Supervise and coordinate with outside counsel as necessary
Embody utmost trust, collaboration, active listening, and strategic thought, and develop these skill sets in his or her team
Promote a culture that reflects our client’s core values
Our client seeks an outstanding professional with at least 10 years of legal experience and significant depth in commercial contracts, with a preference for experience in the technology sector, and some familiarity with marketing agreements. Ideally he or she would have foundational experience in a top tier law firm handling a range of transactional matters, followed by experience in-house for a similarly complex technology services or other technology organization, including contract drafting and advisory responsibility. While a background in advertising content/review is a plus, it is not required.
In terms of the performance and personal competencies required for the position, we would highlight the following:
· Ability to understand the company’s business, policies, people, goals and risks
· Grasp key drivers of the business and industry and quickly become immersed in the most important business, policy and regulatory issues facing the Company
· Speak to a range of audiences about business and policy or regulatory priorities and strategies
· Serve as an outstanding strategist
· Anticipate future opportunities and challenges and develop strategies to address them
· Proactively identify risks and opportunities
Executing for Results
· Ability to become immersed in an issue to develop coherent and creative solutions
· Demonstrate a tireless work ethic
· Have a hands-on style, take initiative and operate with urgency, decisiveness and responsiveness
· Understand nuanced policy details and take those into account in making recommendations based on facts, objectives and the interests of the Company
· Enjoy mastering ambiguous issues and situations, both internally and externally
· Be a collaborative leader who is confident and assertive in style, but respectful of others
Building Relationships and Using Influence
· Work effectively with the GC, other members of the law department, senior management, key stakeholders, and others across the organization
· Demonstrate a positive, professional, and collaborative demeanor
· Remain calm and balanced in the face of time and others pressures
· Maintain and build relationships with external resources
· Develop and maintain a strong network of relationships outside the organization to support the objectives of the Company
· Demonstrate excellent written, verbal and listening skills
Employer will assist with relocation costs.
Additional Salary Information: Competitive salary with bonus and equity potential.
About Russell Reynolds on behalf of Global Technology Company
Russell Reynolds Associates opened its Washington, DC office in 1979 to better serve the Public Policy, Corporate Government Affairs and International NGO communities. Since then, the office’s client base has expanded to include the Technology, Aerospace/Defense, and Healthcare industries, while remaining a center for excellence within the Nonprofit and External Affairs arenas. Located in the heart of the city near the White House, our consultants understand the unique needs of Washington-based clients and are dedicated to serving nonprofits and corporations both within the beltway and beyond.