ACC is committed to compliance with all applicable equal employment laws. ACC In-house Jobline listings may not explicitly or implicitly discriminate on the basis of any prohibited factor.
Listings on the ACC In-house Jobline are for in-house attorney positions only. While we do not accept non-attorney corporate job listings, if you are hiring a corporate legal operations professional, contact LawDepartmentOps@ACC.com. By posting a job on the ACC In-house Jobline or using the service as a job seeker, you are agreeing to comply with our Terms and Conditions, including those relating to discrimination. The system administrator may delete postings, which do not comply. Employer postings removed by ACC are not subject to refund.
We are very interested in your thoughts as we continue to develop the ACC In-House Jobline to better serve your needs. If you have questions about ACC In-house Jobline, please call our helpdesk at: 1-888-491-8833 Ext. 1125 (Extension Required).
Attorneys and other legal professionals within Capital One advise our diversified businesses on a broad range of legal issues in a constantly changing and stimulating environment. In addition, through its breadth of talent, bold initiatives, state of the art infrastructure and dynamic work environment, the Legal Department of Capital One is quickly becoming one of the most highly admired corporate legal departments in the country.
Capital One’s Legal Department is seeking an experienced litigation attorney to join our employment law team in Richmond, Virginia. The primary responsibilities of this position will include active oversight of outside counsel in defending Capital One in all employment litigation throughout the United States. The position will also entail investigating and resolving employment-related complaints, including EEOC Charges, DOL complaints and investigations, whistleblower complaints, and similar complaints and investigations. The position will require occasional travel throughout the United States for litigation-related events and investigations.
Candidates for this position must have a thorough understanding of and experience with litigation in federal and state courts (preferably employment litigation), conducting internal investigations, and responding to and resolving complaints filed with government agencies. This attorney will be expected to partner closely with outside counsel to deliver effective resolution of employment lawsuits and complaints. The attorney will also be expected to advise clients on proactive approaches to mitigating legal risk gleaned from litigation matters. This position will report to the Senior Director for the Employment Law Group.
Capital One’s Legal Department is a strong proponent of delivering great results through collaboration and strong relationships with our team members and our clients that is best accomplished through regular, in-person engagement. As the Employment Law Group and many of its HR clients are located in Richmond, Virginia, this position will be required to work in Capital One’s West Creek facility in Richmond.
Responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing outside counsel in defending Capital One against employment law claims throughout the United States;
- Investigating and resolving employment-related complaints, including EEOC Charges, DOL complaints, whistleblower complaints, and similar complaints and investigations;
- Collaborating with an internal team of legal professionals, a network of outside counsel, and business clients to deliver effective solutions to employment law litigation and complaints; and
- Partnering with business clients to proactively identify legal risks relating to employment law issues and to develop and adopt practices and measures that ensure legal compliance and mitigate these legal risks.
- Juris Doctorate (JD) degree from an accredited law school
- Currently licensed member of at least one state legal bar agency in good standing
- At least 3 years of legal experience as an attorney litigating employment or commercial civil claims in state and federal courts OR At least 3 years of legal experience as corporate counsel managing employment or commercial civil litigation OR At least 3 years of combined experience with the above.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in a major law firm or Fortune 500 company in-house legal department
- Extensive experience in litigating or managing litigation of employment law claims
- Extensive experience investigating and responding to employment-related complaints to federal, state, and local agencies, including EEOC Charges, DOL complaints, and similar state administrative complaints
- Extensive experience conducting internal investigations of employment law complaints
- Extensive experience responding to letters from attorneys asserting employment law claims
- Experience in responding to government investigations and audits of employment-related practices
- Experience investigating and resolving whistleblower and other retaliation complaints
- Outstanding judgment
- Ability to work effectively both in teams and independently, make effective and integrated decisions, and collaborate effectively with associates at all levels in the company
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to influence others
- Ability to deal with ambiguous situations, complex concepts and details
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.