ACC is committed to compliance with all applicable equal employment laws. ACC In-house Jobline listings may not explicitly or implicitly discriminate on the basis of any prohibited factor.
Listings on the ACC In-house Jobline are for in-house attorney positions only. While we do not accept non-attorney corporate job listings, if you are hiring a corporate legal operations professional, contact LawDepartmentOps@ACC.com. By posting a job on the ACC In-house Jobline or using the service as a job seeker, you are agreeing to comply with our Terms and Conditions, including those relating to discrimination. The system administrator may delete postings, which do not comply. Employer postings removed by ACC are not subject to refund.
We are very interested in your thoughts as we continue to develop the ACC In-House Jobline to better serve your needs. If you have questions about ACC In-house Jobline, please call our helpdesk at: 1-888-491-8833 Ext. 1125 (Extension Required).
Wawanesa General Insurance Company (“Wawanesa”) is seeking a highly motivated, business minded Legal Counsel to join its legal team in San Diego, California.
The Legal Counsel will be responsible for the tasks assigned by the Associate General Counsel, which may include any of the following:
• Draft, review and negotiate a variety of legal documents, including leases, licenses, non-disclosure agreements, letters of intent, statements of work, professional services agreements and vendor agreements.
• Research and analyze proposed federal and state regulations and collaborate with internal clients to identify and quantify the impact such regulations may have on Wawanesa’s operations.
• Assist in the resolution of escalated customer issues including drafting responses to regulatory authorities and customers.
• Research and evaluate various risk factors regarding proposed business activities and provide timely and practical advice on possible solutions.
• Collaborate with and facilitate decision-making among Legal, Finance, Marketing, Operations and other internal teams.
• Maintain a general knowledge of Wawanesa’s operations.
• Work with other members of the Legal team on special projects, as needed.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• J.D. degree from an ABA-accredited law school.
• A member in good standing with the bar of any state in the United States or the District of Columbia.
• A minimum of 3 years’ related experience.
• A passion for providing unparalleled client service.
• Strong business acumen with advanced analytical and problem solving skills to proactively identify and assess complex and widely varied issues, client needs, opportunities and risks.
• Excellent drafting and negotiation skills, and a familiarity with a variety of types of commercial agreements.
• Exceptional interpersonal, time-management and organizational skills, with a strong attention to detail.
• A cooperative, enthusiastic and team-oriented attitude, with a demonstrated ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with colleagues at all organizational levels.
• An ability to work independently in a small team environment.
• A high degree of professionalism and unquestionable personal ethics and integrity.
• Results oriented and able to prioritize multiple projects.
• Expert communicator with the ability to express ideas clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Demonstrated creative thinking and comfort in addressing and delivering practical legal and business solutions.
• A willingness to assist colleagues with projects and activities in areas outside of his/her primary areas of responsibility, as needed, to contribute to a collegial atmosphere and to assist in meeting required deadlines and company goals.
• Experience in the property and casualty insurance industry will be considered an asset.
Wawanesa U.S. Operation
Our U.S. Company is headquartered in San Diego, California. Marketing, underwriting, claims processing, and policyholder services are all conducted from the San Diego office. The company is currently licensed to write business in California and Oregon. The U.S. operation is a wholly owned subsidiary of The Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company of Canada, one of the leading insurance carriers in Canada.