ACC is committed to compliance with all applicable equal employment laws. ACC In-house Jobline listings may not explicitly or implicitly discriminate on the basis of any prohibited factor.
Listings on the ACC In-house Jobline are for in-house attorney positions only. While we do not accept non-attorney corporate job listings, if you are hiring a corporate legal operations professional, contact LawDepartmentOps@ACC.com. By posting a job on the ACC In-house Jobline or using the service as a job seeker, you are agreeing to comply with our Terms and Conditions, including those relating to discrimination. The system administrator may delete postings, which do not comply. Employer postings removed by ACC are not subject to refund.
We are very interested in your thoughts as we continue to develop the ACC In-House Jobline to better serve your needs. If you have questions about ACC In-house Jobline, please call our helpdesk at: 1-888-491-8833 Ext. 1125 (Extension Required).
This is the time to let your talent come to life. To maximize your knowledge and use it for the greater good. To work with the best professionals using state-of-the-art technology, and improve lives with your innovative ideas and ambitious dreams. Find a better way: the Sysmex Way.
...to improve the lives of others.
Headquartered in Kobe, Japan, Sysmex is located in Lincolnshire, Illinois. Renowned worldwide for the very finest in quality, innovative diagnostic equipment and information-management systems, we apply science to enhance the quality of life on a global scale. Our agile, resourceful team is committed to realizing critical breakthroughs in laboratory diagnostics, information technology, workflow analysis and life sciences for the clinical laboratory.
...to build a promising future.
We currently have a great opportunity available for a Corporate Counsel & Managing Attorney. The Corporate Counsel & Managing Attorney serves as the key legal advisor to SAI's senior management team. Plans, develops and manages programs for the effective delivery of legal services. Guides the day-to-day administration of SAI's legal department and legal services. Receives requests for legal services, assigns and coordinates appropriate resources in support of business owners, monitors progress and periodically reports to senior management. Effectively manages use of external counsel and tracks/manages expenditures for such services. Cooperates and assists Compliance as required to fully investigate complex legal issues, such as the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), Anti-Kickback Statute, False Claims and similar legislation applicable in the Americas. Responsible for developing employee training materials and conducting training sessions for key business owners on legal matters helpful to such staff, such a 'careful communications.' Regularly reviews employee compliance with work instructions and procedures interfacing with Legal, and initiates actions to implement compliance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Manages attorney(s) and support staff, assigning cases and projects associated with legal services and supervising work product to deliver responsive, quality services.
2. Develops and maintains relationships with outside counsel, assigns and manages cases referred to such firms, and reconciles and tracks invoices paid for such services.
3. Drafts and/or reviews procurement, distribution, sales and other contracts and agreements, and provides advice and recommendations to business owners. Assists internal clients in structuring business arrangements to meet the goals of SAI within legal constraints under federal, state or local law.
4. Identifies and researches potential legal risks and issues, analyzes implications and suggests alternatives for countermeasures to manage the risks.
5. Identifies legal training needs and leads/supports the development of new, enhanced training programs both for legal staff and internal clients.
6. Develops procedures, tools and metrics to monitor use and effectiveness of legal services, and reports on such trends as a member of the Operating Committee. Develops corrective actions to respond to unfavorable trends.
7. Collaborates with the Chief Compliance Officer, Chief Financial Officer and Director of Internal Audit to identify compliance, legal risks and issues that may require monitoring and/or assessment.
8. In close cooperation with the Director of Quality Training and others, insures that legal training sessions are included in the training matrices of SAI associates using legal services.
9. Supports global legal compliance programs and initiatives of Sysmex Corporation and leads legal matter review and reporting, for example quarterly litigation update.
10. Develops independent professional relationships with leadership of SAI's functional areas to maintain a comprehensive understanding of the business, enabling value-added recommendations on remediation.
Physical Demands: Light physical effort. Routine handling of objects up to 20 pounds; prolonged (at least 50% of time) sitting, standing, keyboard or CRT work. May require periods of moderate discomfort due to noise, dust, lighting and/or other conditions.
Effective leadership profile at all levels of the organization.
Excellent communications skills, both written and oral.
Ability to use Microsoft Office suite of software.
Ability to prepare clear, comprehensive draft language – frequently based on incomplete outlines or concepts received from business owners.
Ability to build trust and effectively coach/counsel at all levels.
Working understanding of Spanish and/or Portuguese desirable.
Unquestioned integrity and business ethics.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret common business documents, journals, financial reports and legal briefs.
Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
Ability to provide good professional guidance and advice in matters of commercial agreements, and business and legal practice.
Ability to effectively present and communicate information to top management, groups of associates and/or boards of directors.
Demonstrated business acumen and sound judgment.
Process oriented: ability to identify root causes of business processes interfacing with Legal and proactively offering preventative solutions
Effective time management and organizational skills.
Ability to travel up to 20% over periods of time, including internationally, depending on assigned projects.
Bachelors degree in Business, Accounting, Information Systems or related field preferred and 7 to 10 years of work experience as in-house counsel or related (such as commercial) private practice area.
License to practise law in Illinois.
JD from an ABA accredited law school.
Professional compliance certification (CECP, CHP, etc.) preferred.
Healthcare industry knowledge preferred.
Unquestioned integrity and business ethics.
Prior investigations experience desirable.
Prior training experience desirable.
Thorough understanding of principles of good investigation practices.
General understanding of IT control systems.
Experience with law department technologies desirable.
Knowledge of risk evaluation/quantification tools.
Sysmex is proud to be an EEO/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.